reececop reececop
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/7/2009 16:51
How to clean a pond net? #1
Hi,
I am just looking to find out if you can buy a disinfectant or sterilizer for pond nets? As in some shops they dip their nets before catching the fish, so I wondered if anybody knows where to buy it??
Any help appreciated
Thanks
Reece
Otter Otter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 26/7/2009 14:05
Re: How to clean a pond net? #2
I don't know what they use in shops, but a mild bleach solution would work. You'd want to rinse the net before using it, of course. Straight bleach would probably eat your net too quickly.

Isopropyl alchohol kills most things (including fish) and evaporates quickly leaving no residue.

Potassium permanganate will get a lot of things too, but I'm not sure if it would work for a quick dip, and I'm not sure if it would kill KHV.

The fish store clerks might just be using fresh water for the saltwater tanks, and salt water for the freshwater tanks. This won't actually sterilize the nets, but if they left the nets in for a while, it would kill quite a few parasites.

If you ask at the fish store, tell us what they say.
reececop reececop
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 27/7/2009 13:26
Re: How to clean a pond net? #3
Thanks, I will ask when I next visit them but it was a blue liquid if that any helps and he didn't rinse the net before netting the fish, if that's any help to anyone.
Thanks Again
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 27/7/2009 21:09
Re: How to clean a pond net? #4
Id imagine it would be a very strong solution of melacite green (leaves the water a blue/dark blue colur.

Why were you going to use net dips?