catflish catflish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/7/2009 10:01
Pregnant Amano #1
Hello!

I haven't had my amano shrimp that long, prob about a couple of months. Anyway, looking around the tank this morning and I noticed that one of the shrimp looks funny underneath and is hiding underneath the bogwood. As soon as I fed the fish it came swimming out for me to have a look at.

She's pregnant!!!! Just had a look on google images at what pregnant amanos look like and she looks exactly the same. I'm sure when I got them the sales assistant said that the babies won't survive as they need salt water to grow up in. Is this true? What precautions do I need to take so as not to scare her or get her stressed out? What does she do with the eggs??

Thanks in advance for your help, sorry if i'm bein sill, I wasn't expecting pregnancies!!
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 9/7/2009 10:12
Re: Pregnant Amano #2
At some point a male will fertilize the eggs she is carrying under her belly and she will then shake them out into the water. The fish will then go mental eating all the eggs as quickly as possible and if you have large fish there is a chance that the female will get injured during this. Not much you can do about it.

In nature the eggs would then be carried downstream into salted water.
The eggs would hatch when the salinity is right and the fry would then start a swim back upstream from the brackish waters. By the time they mature and can no longer tolerate the salt levels they will be safely back in fresh waters.

The theory to breeding them is to keep the female and male in a small quarantine tank with air powered sponge filter. When the female shakes the eggs loose you move the shrimp out so they don't eat the eggs and increase the salinity in the tank using water changes with marine salts very slowly each day.
When the eggs hatch you need some microfeed for them (liquifry no1 perhaps?) and you slowly reduce the salinity with freshwater changes over time. When they are grown up to a size big enough to survive the main aquarium you can move them across or try selling them perhaps.

I've never actually tried breeding the amano shrimp, I just let the fish have the eggs.
catflish catflish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 9/7/2009 10:18
Re: Pregnant Amano #3
Thanks for the advice!!

I will prob let the fish eat the eggs too, I don't want to become overrun with shrimps!!

I'm always learning new things about fish, it's so much fun!!

Has anybody on here successfully bred amano??
catflish catflish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 9/7/2009 10:28
Re: Pregnant Amano #4
I need to do a water change today, am i ok to still do it??
Freakyshrimp Freakyshrimp
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 9/7/2009 10:30
Re: Pregnant Amano #5
Amano shrimp eggs DO actually hatch in freshwater in the wild and in captivity. They are freeswimming lavae which then get swept downstream and out into the sea, where they spend a couple of months going through various different growing stages before heading back upstream. They will live for one day in freshwater once hatched, or become instant food.
[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/uploads/photos/1472.jpg]Original Image[/ur
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 9/7/2009 12:11
Re: Pregnant Amano #6
Quote:

catflish wrote:
I need to do a water change today, am i ok to still do it??

Yes its fine. Carry on as normal.
catflish catflish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 9/7/2009 12:36
Re: Pregnant Amano #7
Ok!

Just done the water change and I now have a new problem....filter stopped working! I have out it in the emergencies forum for advice!
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 9/7/2009 12:55
Re: Pregnant Amano #8
Stuck impeller

For others to note, when you clean your filter pull the impeller out and give it a gently scrub. Careful not to loose the shaft of the bearings for the impeller when doing this as they can fall out in some filters.
catflish catflish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 24/7/2009 14:04
Re: Pregnant Amano #9
Update on the pregnant Amano.....she's still carrying her eggs underneath her! How long will she carry the eggs underneath her? They seem to have changed colour a few times too!