MIGHTYFINN MIGHTYFINN
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/6/2009 8:40
chemicals and frogs #1
hi all
i have a few frogs in my pond which is cool! but i had noticed that one of them (the largest)was looking very lifeless and was not jumping away when i went near it. I later found it dead so removed it.I had previously used some green water treatment could this have caused it?? The other frogs seem ok. This is a family of frogs that go way back so i was just a bit concerned. Any ideas ??
cheers
Finn
MIGHTYFINNMIGHTYFINN
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: FK Supporter Advisers Moderators Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 22/6/2009 8:57
Re: chemicals and frogs #2
Did it have any other symptoms? I dunno much about frogs but I have read that copper can contribute towards that red leg thing that is killing loads of them off. Copper is present in some medications and also in slug pellets so you should never ever use them.
MIGHTYFINN MIGHTYFINN
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 22/6/2009 12:32
Re: chemicals and frogs #3
yo fishy!!
thanks for replying. Could be the red leg thing althought the others are ok. I have used slug pellets but this is a long distance from the pond. I use ones which are ok with other creatures but maybe not frogs or amphibians. I am pretty careful about what i use,if frogs feed on sluggy kind of things then it may be it who knows MMM!! a serious rethink
thanks mate
Finn
ps
g
forgot to mention that it was pretty kind of bloated and off colour thats about it oh!! and over slimy ifs thats possible-honest lol!!i will check the last medication i used in the pond which was for green water treatment.
pps are you the person with the giant ginger cat??
MIGHTYFINNMIGHTYFINN
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 22/6/2009 12:40
Re: chemicals and frogs #4
Yes, frogs do eat slugs so you should avoid using the pellets altogether really. There are loads of other ways to keep slugs off your strawberries

I do have a giant cat but he is black, not ginger. I can't remember who has the giant ginger cat.
MIGHTYFINN MIGHTYFINN
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 22/6/2009 13:25
Re: chemicals and frogs #5
yo fishy
thanks for your advice i shall find alternative means to keeping the gits off my beans. I thought it was you who had the ginger cat because in the picture it said 'what happens if you cross maggots with fishy fishy'-this a giant ginger cat crikey i aint never seen a cat that big!!
cheers
finn
MIGHTYFINNMIGHTYFINN
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 22/6/2009 14:43
Re: chemicals and frogs #6
Best thing I have found so far to stop slugs is ash from the chimenea (or bonfire), it's gritty so they won't go on it. Just sprinkle it round your beans