jamielloyd jamielloyd
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Durham
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/6/2009 22:27
Another new tank!! #1
I know this isn't ideal but im onto my 3rd tank in 9 months.. Previous tanks where second hand tanks but now ive got a new one and i want to set it up properly and leave it alone!

Ive bought a tank without the stand as i want to use it with what would be considered the side of the tank against the wall.. i thought this would give me more viewing space!

the new tank is 4ft x 2ft so its going to way a fair bit.. has anyone else built their cabinet? if so how did you make it and what kind of weight is it holding.. just for an idea of what i need to build it from.. shop bought stands seem to be made from next to nothing

I need some replacement bulbs for a 4ft arcadia light does anyone know anywhere cheap for bulbs? it took 2 weeks last time i got them from my LFS lol

Thanks!
lr85ninety lr85ninety
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 9/6/2009 11:12
Re: Another new tank!! #2
a rough guide is 1 litre of water weighs 1kg thaen you need to work out your rocks and decor it'l be pretty heavy. timber frame with 2" supports should be fine
Original Image
jamielloyd jamielloyd
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Durham
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/6/2009 11:33
Re: Another new tank!! #3
aye its going to be heavy!.. somewhere over 400kg id guess.. i just struggle to comprehend how much wood im going to need to make this safe enough for me to sleep at night lol..

i was planning to build a wooden frame top and bottom with 8 supports.. it would be all made from 2" x 3".. does that sound alright?

Then im going to either clad it with more wood or plaster it and add skirting board so it looks more like a little island

Thanks!
lr85ninety lr85ninety
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 9/6/2009 16:18
Re: Another new tank!! #4
without seeing plans its hard to tell but the design doesnt have to be complicated wood is supprisingly strong! 6 upright supports in 2 x 3 will be more than adequate for a 4 footer
Original Image