bikemadcaz bikemadcaz
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Dorset
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/5/2009 19:14
'salinity' what does this mean?? #1
Me and the bf are thinking about getting vampire crabs in their own tank next.thers not much info out ere but came across this word 'salinity' gathered its sumin to do wiv salt.but anyone got an explanation for a simple mind to understand.
iv got a goldfish, topical and 2 shrimp tanks..and iv red that crabs like to have brackish water not fresh...thats another word i need explianing...
he he..ay of u guys help...
caz
Tropical tank (90l)
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/5/2009 19:20
Re: 'salinity' what does this mean?? #2
Quote:

bikemadcaz wrote:
..anyone got an explanation for a simple mind to understand.

salinity is just how salty the water is. can be measured in ppm or specific gravity.

Quote:

bikemadcaz wrote:
brackish...thats another word i need explianing...

brackish water is neither fresh or full marine conditions, so in estuaries and places where rivers meet seas will be brackish.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
bikemadcaz bikemadcaz
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Dorset
  • Posted on: 26/5/2009 19:36
Re: 'salinity' what does this mean?? #3
oh thanku..
how do i 'make' brackish water...i was going to steal my goldfish water to partially fill the what will be the crab tank. the vampire crab are freshwater creatures!
im not doin well on how to set up their tank..apart from they need a lil bit of land and not fill it up too high so they can escape...
Tropical tank (90l)
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/5/2009 20:01
Re: 'salinity' what does this mean?? #4
you will need some marine salt, and just add the appropriate amount to your fresh water, will only need to add a small amount if they are fresh/brackish species - exactly how much will depend on the brand of salt and how salty they need the water to be.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 26/5/2009 21:23
Re: 'salinity' what does this mean?? #5
riyty ho ill do some research for you and get back to this as soon as menny craps a wrongly label as freshwater or brackish so its good to get a proper id of the specific crab you can get hold of
[img]http://i275.p
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 26/5/2009 21:45
Re: 'salinity' what does this mean?? #6
right the low dawn

these are a full land crab that occasional takes a dip into fresh water not salted they are one of the few crabs that do not reproduce by dispersing their eggs into the see they hatch as full formed crabs making them totally independent of water other then for the occasional mosturisasion session

for the tank set up your looking at a tank of at least 2 foot in length land mass to water ratio of 4 quarters land to one quarter water the water should be a least 4 to 6 inches deep with a gentle slope to the land section the plenty of low lying bog wood peace's for climbing out and sheltering around on lend

moisture should be kept berry hi with a temperature controlled via a heat mat attached to the outside of the rear glass panel fitted to a thermostat set to 76f

a small air pawerd corner sponge filter would be ideal for the water section and standard aquarium tube for lighting use a plant grow light if you are considering growing bog plants out of the water section

they are a communal crab so groups can be kept together with no problems their claws are on the small side and it has been reported that they do not cannibalize young or actively attack others

they are primarily a scavenger in the wild so their diet can consist of fish peace crab pellets wormy foods and just about anything you could think of

all in all a god crab for the aquarium
bikemadcaz bikemadcaz
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Dorset
  • Posted on: 28/5/2009 20:06
Re: 'salinity' what does this mean?? #7
WOW THANKYOU..wherd u find that info gwa84..u makin a caresheet for them???hint hint
gota redue my lil tank then.its mainly water with a corner thats landy...mmmmm k.So a mission for sat wen i go down to th fish shop then.
will need to make more land mass...
can u find info on a Panther Crab?and can they mix wiv th Vamps.
Tropical tank (90l)
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 28/5/2009 21:59
Re: 'salinity' what does this mean?? #8
i will check but i doubt it most crustations don't tolerate others that arnt of their group