darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/5/2009 20:10
White strings #1
Hello fellow fish keepers,

i'm in need of some advice for my japanese shubunkin. I feed Quattro with tetrafin flakes twice daily. I've seen him do a poo and it is red which should be the right colour i'm told. I've noticed a few times after his red poo a white "string" appears from his "exit". During this wite string excretion is not very mobile and remains down below. Sometimes this string can be upto 6cm long. It white and very thin. It trails behind him as he swims around.

Does anyone have an idea what this can be? Thanks.
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 24/5/2009 20:25
Re: White strings #2
EDIT:

During this wite string excretion, he is not very mobile and remains down below.

Sorry re-read my post and it didn't make sense.
stardust79 stardust79
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 25/5/2009 1:34
Re: White strings #3
I found my fish poo white string if they haven't been fed for a day and/ or they have been munching on plants. Otherwise it is the colour of their food. I do think though it is to do with digestion and constipation though.

I did notice though with my oranda though who had constant swimbladder his poo was always white and stringy so I put that down to him being immobile and constipated.

Try feeding him a thawed de shelled pea. I let them thaw then squeeze the pea and just mush up the insides of the pea a little. It's good for them even if the problem is not constipation.
60 litre

1 fantail/oranda

30 litre

6 minnows, 3 white cloud, 3 gold
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 25/5/2009 11:06
Re: White strings #4
Stringy white poo is best taken in context with other things - it can be a sign that the fish isn't eating well, can be a bacterial infection, parasitic infection, fishy version of diarrhea, constipation ... does the fish have any other symptoms?
It's Not Just A Fish
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 25/5/2009 15:05
Re: White strings #5
Thanks for the replies, I've attached a picture of the white stringy stuff. At the end you can see the poo is red. The whi

te bit came out first and the red "actual poo" after. He is very inmobile aswell at the moment and just floats around at the bottom or hides in his cave :( I will give it thawed and mushed peas to see if that changes anything. Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (440.53 KB)
8680_4a1aa5b510744.jpg 2048X1536 px
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 26/5/2009 18:53
Re: White strings #6
Help! I tried the thawed peas but he takes them in and throws them back out. He's not eating his food either. I did a 50% water change to and vaccumed the gravel (put him in a smaller tank for a bit)and there was lots of debris which got sucked out and un-eaten food.

I will get some water test results up ASAP. Thank You.
stardust79 stardust79
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 27/5/2009 2:16
Re: White strings #7
Ok, That sounds like something else going on there and the fish does not sound very well.

Are you over feeding him? Just wondering why there is so much uneaten food in the tank?

I would test the PH, ammonia and nitrite levels ASAP! Especially if there is a lot of uneaten food could contribute to a nitrite/ammonia problem.

Please post test results on here so others can advise you.

Does your fish ever sink to the bottom of the tank as if he has problems staying up, does he ever float upside down or swim on his side?

Apart from his poo and not eating are there any other symptoms he has shown in behaviour?

The water tests would be helpful in identifying a possible problem.
60 litre

1 fantail/oranda

30 litre

6 minnows, 3 white cloud, 3 gold
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 27/5/2009 8:01
Re: White strings #8
I will get the tests done today and post the restults up. I have a university exam at so it'll be after that. :(

I havn't actually seen him poo for a couple of days now I don't think he's eating anything. The uneaten food is the food accumalated over the past 3/4 days since he's been sick.

Besides him not eating he just stays at the bottom and is very inactive. When I put my net in he straight aways notices and swims around super fast to avoid it! I put it in this morning (not to catch him but to test if he's active) and he wouldn't move at all! He spends most of his time at the bottom hdiding in or behind his cave.

I'm becoming very worried now as Quattro's usually very active. Will get water results up today.

Thank You.
darknite darknite
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 27/5/2009 17:35
Re: White strings #9
Went to my LFS and got some water tests done.

Ammonia: ppm
NitrITE: 0.25-0.50 (the colour was purple and was in between this range)
pH: The guy said it was normal ( I remember it being a grey colour I think)

Any ideas everyone :(
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 27/5/2009 17:57
Re: White strings #10
You've missed the reading for ammonia Think you've found your problem though - the nitrite reading will be making your fish feel very ill indeed. It prevents oxygen from binding with the blood properly and is very toxic. Can you give some details on your tank maintenance routine so we can see if there is something there causing problems? And can you fill in your profile with tank details etc? I'd do another 25% water change and add aquarium salt at 1 gram per litre to counter the effects of the nitrite.
It's Not Just A Fish