Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/7/2004 16:34
Coldwater Aquariums and Fishkeeping #1
Came across these and thought some of you may find them informative and also interesting reading:

http://www.h2ohome.co.uk/Coldwater/Aquariums/aquarium.htm

Note the live food information below as I tend to use frozen, in jelly or freeze dried bloodworms etc but not live food for this reason:

Never feed live aquatic foods (daphnia, tubifex, bloodworms and mosquito larvae). Although these foods are the natural diet of most fish, they contain parasites that will infest the fish and cause many problems in the small confines of the home aquarium. Only if these natural foods have been treated (irradiated, frozen, freeze-dried) are they safe and can be used as a treat.

http://www.bva-awf.org.uk/default.asp ... _id=672&editorial_id=4045
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/7/2004 15:02
Re: Coldwater Aquariums and Fishkeeping #2
Aargh i feed mine a bag of live food once every week!
It used to be mainly Brineshrimp, but have fed them Daphnia a few times now
I read in a book Brineshrimp was the "safest" live food, might have to reconsider the fishes diet
Resized Image
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/7/2004 19:51
Re: Coldwater Aquariums and Fishkeeping #3
A little now and again should be ok linsay just be care ful when adding the live food so that you just add the daphnia etc and not the water it comes in as that can have added ingredients.
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/7/2004 9:29
Re: Coldwater Aquariums and Fishkeeping #4
I've always thought the water looked disgusting they were in so i always tip them in a net and suspend the net in tank water in a jug - then add them to the tank

I have rarely fed them bloodworms as i can't stand to look at them - they are quite foul

The lfs has a delivery of livefood on Thursdays, so i always go after work so the food is fresh.
I only bought brineshrimp at first (cos they look pretty)but i'm not sure if it's a seasonal thing? but the bags of brineshrimp now aren't nearly as full of the shrimps as they used to be, so aren't worth buying.
The bags of Daphnia are still teaming with the little creatures, so get one of those now a week
Resized Image