(1) 2 »
Amanda 61 Amanda 61
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Midlothian
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/5/2009 21:17
Lemon Goldfish and ghost koi jumping out the water WHY??? #1
Have been treating the fish for ich since Friday,have only added correct amount of Medifin on Friday,then yesterday noticed the ghost koi were jumping out the water and chasing each other about in pond.

Today I added one third of minimum dose of pond salt to help with the ich,I only added enough for minimum dose for 100 gal pond,my pond is 350 gallon so I know I've not added too much in one go and the goldfish have been jumping about too, they all feed well and all the water tests are great is this just because its spring?? Tested for nitrates,nitrites both 0 Ph is 8 which is the norm for my pond,they are not gasping for air as have 2 aerators and waterfall,they all seem happy enough maybe I'm just panicking
Cheers Amanda
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 12/5/2009 8:19
Re: Lemon Goldfish and ghost koi jumping out the water WHY??? #2
Hi,

They could be jumping because of the whitespot, to try and get rid of them.

Another option could be that they are spawning, which would also explain why they are chasing each other as well.

Keep an eye on them, have you got a spawning brush/mop at all?
Amanda 61 Amanda 61
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Midlothian
  • Posted on: 12/5/2009 15:24
Re: Lemon Goldfish and ghost koi jumping out the water WHY??? #3
Hi Fredrick,looks like your right about the spawning as noticed all the bubbles on edges of pond today.... but as I've never had this before please can you excuse my ignorance and explain why I need a spawning mop,brush??

One of the goldfish isn't looking too great although is eating well,the ghost koi all seem to be showing no signs of ick on their fins it is just noticible on the goldfish x4 added another 100 teaspoons of salt today

Thanks again Fredrick,
Amanda
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 12/5/2009 17:12
Re: Lemon Goldfish and ghost koi jumping out the water WHY??? #4
Hi,

Dont worry about it, spawning mops are bascily a very soft brush that the fish go and spawn in, it stops the females from being harmed at all.

As long as the fish is still eating then its a good sign. When you say doesnt good great, in what sense?
Amanda 61 Amanda 61
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Midlothian
  • Posted on: 12/5/2009 20:33
Re: Lemon Goldfish and ghost koi jumping out the water WHY??? #5
Hi,Thanks for reply once again,Will see if I can get a spawning mop/brush...hadn't heard of them before.

One goldfish is floating with its head pointing downwards,although when it swims it is ok,and fed as keenly as the other fish...think the ick is affecting its insides?? None of the others are doing this!!

How long does it take before I know the treatment is starting to work?

Could you recommend how much of a water change I need to do tomorrow before adding next dose of medicine? Was going to change 30 gallons is that enough? Holds 350 gallons. And then replace salt and add abit more as I am only at 2 teaspoons per gallon at the moment, Put UV back on yesterday after 72 hours and will turn off again after tomorrows dose of meds. All the other fish seem happy!! Can still see alot of ich on the goldfish.
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 12/5/2009 21:51
Re: Lemon Goldfish and ghost koi jumping out the water WHY??? #6
Ive forgot how much salt you should have when working in tsp per gallon, ill check to tomorrow

The hanging goldfish could be down to the ich or might even down to the spawning. Ick would only affect the insides due to osmosis, which usually takes salt in from the water but if that gets damged or is affected it allows water in, but the actualy kills the fish before that happens.

Id suggest at least a 25% water change, so you'd be looking at about 100 gallons or so.

If you can still see whitespot id recommond using a stronger treatment
Amanda 61 Amanda 61
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Midlothian
  • Posted on: 13/5/2009 14:05
Re: Lemon Goldfish and ghost koi jumping out the water WHY??? #7
Thanks,will try the other medicine and 100 gal water change.
Fish still feeding well!! Tests still good, the ick looks more raised and thicker today !! Not sure if thats good or bad,but at least they are all still eating.

The goldfish that didn't look good seems more alert today!
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 13/5/2009 18:26
Re: Lemon Goldfish and ghost koi jumping out the water WHY??? #8
It might look thicker just due to the natural build up on mucus when fighting off parasites
Amanda 61 Amanda 61
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Midlothian
  • Posted on: 13/5/2009 20:21
Re: Lemon Goldfish and ghost koi jumping out the water WHY??? #9
Well thanks again for your reply,your help has been really appreciated

Did the 100 gallon water change,and another treatment as you suggested,also added another 100 teaspoons of salt so now at 3 teaspoons a gallon (maximum is 3x tablespoons per gal) so have had a busy evening they all seem happy the PH after change and med went down from 8 to 7.6 so keeping my fingers crossed that it is working
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 14/5/2009 9:35
Re: Lemon Goldfish and ghost koi jumping out the water WHY??? #10
Thats good news then, with the lower pH they will be happier and alittle calmer which will then help them fight the whitespot.

Which treatment did you go for?

Also at 3 tbspoons per gallon any plants you have will get stunted, so your best doing no more than 1.5/2 tblspoons per gallon.