lovelylinz lovelylinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 30/4/2009 21:05
Dwarfing / stunting Question #1
Been reading quite a lot on here recently to pass the time, lol..... and been interested to read some of the comments more knowledgeable members have made about comets and tank sizes... I appreciate that goldies need 30+gal because of their size and bioload on the water, hence my 4 foot tank and 2 fish.... but have been reading that as comets are so active and quick agile little swimmers that to keep them happy and prevent any damage and to ensure good muscle tone that 55+gal tanks should be considered or better still a pond.

my question is.... one of my fish is a comet, we've had him since jan/feb time and since the move into the bigger tank he is growing at an alarming rate and does swim around like a nutta and it takes him no time at all to do a lap of the tank, and amuses himself by swimming through tight and akward gaps in the ornaments.... stunt fish in training?
I know i've had a bad start to fish keeping, but i love them to bits and im now worried that nudge isnt adequately housed, and i really will do everything i can to make sure i dont balls up again.
Am i doing him harm keeping him where he is? I dont want to put him in the pond, i love him being in the tank he's so friendly and fun to watch and really cheeky, but i'd rather do that than risk hurting him! sadly, finances / space and my husband wont allow a 5/6foot tank.... (althou i think it would be cool!) i have to be realistic and the 4 foot tank is all i can do for quite a few years!!!

confused... again!
3 things i have to tell you about fishkeeping...
Fishless cycle
[size=small][font=Arial]Ap
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 30/4/2009 21:30
Re: Dwarfing / stunting Question #2
How big is the tank he's in now, in terms of volume and/or physical size (LxWxH)? He should be OK for a while, but ideally, he should be in 55gal+, tbh.
T.L
Original Image
lovelylinz lovelylinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 30/4/2009 21:47
Re: Dwarfing / stunting Question #3
I cant remember the exact dimensions off top of my head, tank downstairs im upstairs at the mo, but the total volume is 34 gal or a smidgin under perhaps 33.8? its 4' long and quite deep, prob 12ish" wide.

ok, i figured the 55 gal bit was prob right... got that from one of LHG posts..... how long is nudge ok in my tank for?

there is a 450 gal pond in the garden .... which is fishy friendly...... when di need to think about moving him somewhere bigger? this year next? when hes a certain size, or is sooner better than later to prevent any harm bing done?

thanks
Fishless cycle
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 30/4/2009 22:20
Re: Dwarfing / stunting Question #4
The trouble moving goldfish, especially singletails, on through a series of increasingly larger tanks or into pond is that you never know whether you've hit the right moment or you've left it too late. You won't have done it too early in terms of size (although obviously you avoid doing it too early or too late in the year), and I dont honestly know the answer myself other than I would err on the side of caution. How big is Nudge now nose to base of tail?
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
lovelylinz lovelylinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 1/5/2009 9:29
Re: Dwarfing / stunting Question #5
Quote:

cathie wrote:
How big is Nudge now nose to base of tail?

Thanks Cathie, now base of tail... stupid question but i just like to make sure i've got it clear.... thats where the tail starts growing out the fish.... ? just want to be sure.

I dont know exactly, but will try and measure him l8r, but would guess 2.5" I'll get back to you l8r with an exactish measurement... assuming he stays still.

I'll google the whole fish from tank to pond thing, when i get a spare hour this evening and see what i can find out.... i have been told before to do it sort of end of may time when weather is warmer... and stays warmer.... but not had any info on size..... will see what i can find. thx.
lovelylinz lovelylinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 1/5/2009 10:04
Re: Dwarfing / stunting Question #6
nudge is 2.5" long, perhaps a bit more. he wasnt too co-operative but did dash by once or twice!
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 3/5/2009 0:24
Re: Dwarfing / stunting Question #7
Start thinking about upgrades when or if he breaks about 5-6 inches in the body. Generally the first signs of dwarfing conditions are when the fish regularly gets into a pattern of slowing activity and brain quickness, more lethargic behaviour, often literally because his metabolic demands are outstripping the tanks ability to provide for that metabolism, you'll probably find it also outstripping the usual 10ppm nitrate hike per week reading, which is the first sign of chemical overstock unless the aquarium is very heavily planted or you use denitrating techniques outside of water changes. Even on a fast growth estimate you'd probably be ok for a couple of years minimum, on average probably three to four. Lots of variables from temperature to diet and genes. A totally accurate time guestimate would be impossible, goldfish growth speed varies a lot.

If the opportunity presents itself though, always get the eventual and final size tank for the fish as soon as possible. Less work, less risks, less worry when you go on holiday, more chemical stability, better o2 level. Plus you never want to find yourself in the situation in a few years time should your finances change, of not being able to afford a bigger tank and owning a fish so big its in need of rescue.

Never a small fish was harmed by being in a big tank.
Original Image
lovelylinz lovelylinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 3/5/2009 0:32
Re: Dwarfing / stunting Question #8
thank you
he is def not lethargic!! quite the oposite!!

I'll remember the size and things to look for, but am glad i get to keep him in the tank for a couple more years, he's a fab fish they both are!
Fishless cycle