Jaybird_91 Jaybird_91
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/4/2009 21:41
Snail tank :) #1
Hey guys,

I finally managed to get my dwarf puffer to eat frozen food, horay! After 3 months of him refusing to even look at it! He does like his snails however and I used to have alot in the tank but he has gotten through them rather well. I was wondering could I keep the 3-4 remaining snails in an ice cream tub and feed them flake food to get the colony size to increase. I take it I would have to dechlorinate the water but would it need aeration or a filter a heater etc? I want happy snails, my puffer can taste the difference.

Cheers,

Jaybird
Silvertip Silvertip
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 4/4/2009 21:46
Re: Snail tank :) #2
You could have my 17 ltr tank and breed snails in it for your puffer?
Hi Peeps. I still have plenty of Assassin Snails for sale to help control pest snails that creep in on your plants. PM me for details
Jaybird_91 Jaybird_91
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 4/4/2009 21:51
Re: Snail tank :) #3
Much appreciated Silvertip. Very kind. Before I say yes I would just like to know whether they need filtration or whether they are perfectly happy little snails without it. . What would water changes be like?

Cheers guys, and you ST

Jaybird
Silvertip Silvertip
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 4/4/2009 21:55
Re: Snail tank :) #4
I don't knoiw if they are bothered by filtration? Water changes would be tiny in a tank of this size. The tank and stuff is free if you want to collect it.
Jaybird_91 Jaybird_91
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 4/4/2009 22:04
Re: Snail tank :) #5
Thanks for the offer ST it was very kind but I think I will have to pass this time. I don't drive so I can't really get up there. I have been up a few times recently as I was planning on going Leicester Uni. Thanks anyway mate . I will see how they get on in the ice cream tube refuge. Just thought, I would definately need a lid. I will aggitate the water a few times a day to keep them happy!

Cheers,

Jaybird
Silvertip Silvertip
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 4/4/2009 22:22
Re: Snail tank :) #6
Ok, I don't think snails are as fussy about water conditions as fish are, so a biggish container may well be ok for breeding puffer munchies.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/4/2009 0:13
Re: Snail tank :) #7
if you get hold of a few pond snails and stick them in a big bucket, or water butt in the garden they will be a good supply too. i think you will need some kind of aeration/water movement for the indoor snails, a filtered tank would be better really. plants for them to eat would be good as well as a bit of fish food.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...