(1) 2 »
FionaDouglas FionaDouglas
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/6/2004 19:04
Goldy, need your advice please #1
Dear Goldy,

I've taken your advice about the 8 gallons per fish rule, and have purchased a 16.5 gallon tank. I still plan to keep one Blackmoor (going to call him Ebony) and one white-cream Oranda (will name her Ivory).

I have spent a lot of time researching cycling on this forum and the net in general, and due to the fact that I can't obtain pure ammonia, I will have to go the Aquasafe/Stress Zyme route instead. I now understand better the importance of getting this stage right.

Two questions - I will be wanting to plant 2 crypt plants in the tank as Chris Cow suggests, but need to know if I should plant them in a deep layer of gravel only, feeding them with liquid fertiliser, or whether it is better to sandwich a layer of ready made nutrient soil between two layers of gravel. I have been warned that doing the latter may generate too much debris and therefore increase the pollution in the tank. Also, would you recommend I fix down the plants to avoid the naughty fish digging them up?!

Best wishes,
Fiona xx.

Best wishes,

Fiona xx.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/6/2004 19:29
Re: Goldy, need your advice please #2
Great to hear you have bought a bigger tank the fish will love it "that is as long as you stick to just the 2" the names are cute and guess what "snap" I have a young black moor called ebony Now plants I have never really had much luck with real plants myself as the fish have always demolished them even when I bought some that where suppose to be goldfish proof So for now I would set up your tank etc let it cycle and then worry about the plants, and I will see what I can come up with for you, well done so far

PS. I am in the process of setting up a river tank for my hillstream loach and will be filling it with real plants etc, so we can both learn together there
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 29/6/2004 8:54
Re: Goldy, need your advice please #3
Hi Fiona,

From what I'd been reading household ammonia solution is fine to use. I think it is difficult to get the strong stuff 30% proof, etc...

I'm using Boots Household ammonia, that is about £1.60 for 500ml and is about 9% solution (no additives or perfumes). This appears to be working fine ( i'm starting to get a nitrie spike ) an ddoes fit in well with updated method included in the sticky at the top of this forum.

:)
Anonymous  
Re: Goldy, need your advice please #4
Goldfish and plants dont seem to go well, do they goldy, I had the same problem plus lack of heat too. I think light may be a problem as well, in the fluval uno it only has the one light strip, cos of keeping the temp down, in the duo it has too lights one for the fauna, as you know my plants grow like mad it it.
FionaDouglas FionaDouglas
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 29/6/2004 11:43
Re: Goldy, need your advice please #5
Goldy, I have had to go for a 20.5 gallon tank because I am commited to doing a straight swap for the 10 gallon one at the shop, and the 20.5 is the next size up they stock. That in itself is n't a problem, because the more water for each fish the better, however I am VERY worried that this tank could be so heavy when full (1 litre is 1kg) that the whole thing could fall through the floor. The main living accomadation in my house is upstairs, and the only place the tank could go is the sitting room which has a wooden, not concrete, floor. There is already a heavy sideboard on the side of the room the aquarium would be.

What would you advise?
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/6/2004 12:52
Re: Goldy, need your advice please #6
Hello Fiona When buying a fish tank that is one thing you have to take into account is the weight if you are going to put it on floorboards, I would think you will be ok because when I lived in a upstairs flat I had my 4ft tank plus cabinet, Tv, etc and the floor held ok, I also had it in a spare bedroom at my mums to start with and that floor took the weight.

Can I just add though that the weight was distributed around the floor eg. I didn't have the cabinet next to the tank, I guess it depends on the joists not the floor boards.
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 5/7/2004 14:46
Re: Goldy, need your advice please #7
Hi Guys

have to disagree a little here, as i keep real plants but have a smaller 7 gallon tank with my 3 fish in

I have had the odd plant completely destroyed by a certain white Oranda but on the whole the plants keep well, look great and the Elodea is supposed to keep Algae down

Also, i have sand on the floor of the tank, so the plants aren't exactly held down securely and they haven't been uprooted yet

I suppose it's down to how inquisitive the fish are
Resized Image
Anonymous  
Re: Goldy, need your advice please #8
I think you will find that in time plants just start to die of, some do shoot new shoot though, vallis is very good, and my fish alway ate some of the elodea, bits of it floating in the tank every morning.
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 6/7/2004 9:57
Re: Goldy, need your advice please #9
I have had some plants die off over a couple of weeks, but i have had the same Elodea plant now for ages and it's grown almost to the height of the tank with many new shoots. It looked very healthy and green when i bought it

The floating plant i have - not sure of it's name, came from an established coldwater tank and i have had that for over 4 months and it's going strong

I think these 2 plants must be quite hardy, might try and get some vallis
Resized Image
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 6/7/2004 10:01
Re: Goldy, need your advice please #10
Just had a look for Vallis - is this it fishy?

Resized Image

Also, found an interesting plant link

http://www.looksreasonable.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/plants.htm

it says about Elodea does well in sand and mine is weighted in pink sand with pebbles on top

Resized Image