Catmandu Catmandu
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/6/2004 15:45
Desperate for advice please #1
I recently had a bad attack of trichodena in my 3500 gallon 20 x 20ft garden pond which took 4 treatments of potassium permanganate to eradicate. The treatments were carried out over a two week period with the recommended water changes carried out prior to each treatment. Microscopic slides taken recently by my local aquarist now show a clean bill of health.

Unfortunately, I still have one 6 year old koi that has rapid gill cover movement and is getting more lethargic each day. It moves slowly around the pond and often comes up to the shallows to just lie still for an hour or so. After dark last night, it lept clean out of the water and went under, turning on its side as it did so. It seems now to want to stay clear of the others when there is an eating frenzy, but is still taking some food. I cannot visibly see anything wrong with it.

The pond is well oxygenated with airstones in filter chambers and pond constantly in use. Additionally, the waterfall is running all the time with the fountain and water features running during each day. The water vital parameters are very good and is clear to the bottom. I would appreciate any advice you could kindly suggest as this fish is one of the friendliest I possess. Thank you for your time in this matter.

Fish stock: Ghost carp, koi, orfe, some small goldfish and one sterlet. Approximately 27 fish in total.

seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 26/6/2004 17:16
Re: Desperate for advice please #2
Unfortunately the best I can suggest is having a look on http://www.koivet.com/
or
http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/
Sorry.
If you are from the UK. remember 1 UK gallon =1.2 US gallon.
Catmandu Catmandu
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 26/6/2004 18:58
Re: Desperate for advice please #3
Thanks seanmckinney for posting those links. I found a wealth of information on them and have printed out many pages for later reference.

I think I will have to get the fish down to my local aquarist for more slide testing, but most importantly I need to ensure the container has an oxygen supply fitted as I feel sure the fish would not survive the journey there and back. If they cannot identify the problem, then a search for a local fish veterinarian is in order. That could be quite difficult and, of course, expensive!!

The fish has taken some food this evening but didn't linger too long at the surface.

Thanks again for your input and best wishes.

Kind regards,
Ray
St Austell
Cornwall
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 26/6/2004 21:59
Re: Desperate for advice please #4
You are lucky, a shop with a microscope, St Austel must be posh .

Being blunt is the fish worth the expense of a visit to the vet, it is done with really valuable Koi I know but
1) is this fish valuable enough to warrant that?
2) if it isnt and it is a pet fish is it worth the stress to the fish given that it may not survive anyway?
If you do decide to put it down may I suggest a couple of good rapps on the head above or just behind the eyes with something like the shaft of a hammer as the quickest and kindest way of killing it.
This may seem harsh but it isnt meant that way, I would much rather kill a suffering animal than prolong its agony
Catmandu Catmandu
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 27/6/2004 19:26
Re: Desperate for advice please #5
Sorry for the late response seanmckinney. First time on line today.

I'm happy to report that the fish has perked up quite a bit today. It is moving around with the others and joined in the feeding frenzy at five this afternoon - remarkable how they know the time, no matter what time of year it is or the position of the sun. :o) The gill cover rapid action has slowed down too, which was my major concern about the fish's health. Obviously, I had hesitation in stressing it further with a visit to the local aquarist, but hopefully that will be avoided now.

I may be an old softie but I fervently hoped I wouldn't lose this fish. Daft I know, but it really is the friendliest one of the lot, coming up to take food from the hand and staying close for a tickle or two! Make allowances for me please, as this is the first garden pond I've ever had. It came with the bungalow when we moved here two years ago and I've spent quite a lot of time and money transforming it from semi-dereliction to fully functional. At one point, her indoors remarked I should fill the blessed thing in!! Now she is just about as enthusiastic as me! :o)

Thanks again for the input and best wishes to all the forum members.

Regards
Ray

• Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 28/6/2004 9:54
Re: Desperate for advice please #6
Ray, it isnt being an old softie at all, most will try, anyway glad the fish is improved.
Oh and Sean will do, mckinney is just tagged onto my login name because there is a least one other fishy Sean and he already had plain Sean.