(1) 2 »
FionaDouglas FionaDouglas
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/6/2004 10:31
Which water plants for blackmoor and orandas? #1
Hello everyone!

First of all, I'd like to thank Goldy and Iseaton for answering my queries yesterday. I've decided to buy one blackmoor and 2-3 orandas, but realise that I'll have to mature the water in the tank for approx one week before the fish are introduced. I'm going to set up the tank this weekend, so here are my questions!

1) What kind of water plant do blackmoors and orandas like to eat and how should it be fixed down under the gravel to avoid the fish digging it up? If someone can name a variety that is readily available that would be great.

2) How often do you need to clean the tank furniture, gravel and filter et cetera?

3) When you are in the process of doing 2), where should one put the fish? I'm assuming that to put them in a bowl of freezing cold chlorine riddled water would not be a good idea!

With best wishes, Fiona.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/6/2004 11:38
Re: Which water plants for blackmoor and orandas? #2
Hello again Fiona I always recommend new members if they have the time to read over the previous posts on here (the coldwater section) as there is so much information already written and many questions that have been answered that should help you along, you will find lots of information you will need to know that will hopefully help prevent you from making the regular mistakes of new fish keepers.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 26/6/2004 12:28
Re: Which water plants for blackmoor and orandas? #3
Quote:
fiona wrote
I've decided to buy one blackmoor and 2-3 orandas, but realise that I'll have to mature the water in the tank for approx one week before the fish are introduced. I'm going to set up the tank this weekend, so here are my questions!

Stop there First how big is the tank you are going to set up? remember unless you plan on getting a larger tank as the fish grow you should allow 8 gallons per fish for growth.
You also need to cycle the tank before adding any fish see the link below especially with fancies eg. Blackmoors and that takes a lot longer than one week or you will have problems.
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk ... rticle.php?article_id=113

Quote:
2) How often do you need to clean the tank furniture, gravel and filter et cetera?

3) When you are in the process of doing 2), where should one put the fish? I'm assuming that to put them in a bowl of freezing cold chlorine riddled water would not be a good idea!

The fish stay in the tank while you clean it out, you do this by only changing part of the water each week not all of it and using a gravel cleaner so as not to kill all the good bacteria off.

You obviously have a lot to learn so take it one step at a time, Set the tank up, cycle it, before putting any plants in and go from there, anything you need to know we will be here, good luck
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 26/6/2004 16:23
Re: Which water plants for blackmoor and orandas? #4
Hello Goldy,

I'm very glad that you encouraged me to learn more before I bought my tank et cetera. It seems I have been misadvised.

The supervisor in Dobbies in the fish department has several degrees in fish keeping and biology, so I assumed I was getting it from the horse's mouth. He told me that the water maturation process took only one week, and that this could be achieved by dechlorinating the water, keeping it heated at 20-22 deg.C and adding fish food to it.(This is also the advice given on www.carmelvets.co.uk/docs/fish.htm).

Furthermore, he advised that a 32 litre/8 gallon tank could house up to 4 blackmoors and orandas.

I read through other members' posts on cycling, as you suggested, and have printed out some of the links on the subject. There's a lot to take in, and chemistry was my worst subject at school....

Thanks for bearing with a novice. I'm relieved I came across this web-site, as I have no wish to harm the fish!

Best wishes,
Fiona.

meerkat meerkat
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 26/6/2004 20:55
Re: Which water plants for blackmoor and orandas? #5
Hi Fiona! You are doing absolutely the right thing by listening to Goldy - her advice is so good that one of my fish is named after her!
I have a BiOrb, and all the instructions say it's fine to add one fish after 24 hours. Goldy said it was much better to cycle the tank for a month, which is what I did. Then I got Goldie, and waited another fortnight and did water tests before adding Serpie and Scales. (btw they're all telescopic fantails.) All are very happy, and nip around the tank all day!
Resized Image
I know it's frustrating to wait, but it means the fish are happy straight away.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 26/6/2004 23:06
Re: Which water plants for blackmoor and orandas? #6
In that link www.carmelvets.co.uk/docs/fish.htm it tells you this: A general rule is 24 square inches of surface area for 1 inch of Coldwater fish, so if you work it out a 24x12 inch tank can hold 8 inches of fish "not including their tails" so it is easy to see how the tank can become overcrowded if you put the full stocking level in to start with this is how they use to work out the stocking levels when I was a child (but is still a good guide) these days they say roughly allow 8 gallons per fish.

As for putting fish in a tank only a week after setting it up what you would be doing is using the fish to cycle it, and by doing this you will be putting the fish under so much stress and basicly poisoning it in the process
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 27/6/2004 11:42
Re: Which water plants for blackmoor and orandas? #7
Hi Goldy,

I'm planning to buy an 8 gallon tank, and given what you said last night, do you think 1 blackmoor (4" long) and 1 oranda (5" long) would be pushing it? I don't want to have to buy a bigger tank later.

I've spent the weekend researching cycling and would like to attempt the Chris Cow method using pure ammonia, and gravel plus plants from a mature tank. He thinks that this process takes approx 14 days - what do you reckon?

Also, do you believe this way is better than adding Stress-Zyme?

Best wishes,
Fiona.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 27/6/2004 12:23
Re: Which water plants for blackmoor and orandas? #8
By all means try the Chris Cow method and let us know how you get on, but the 8 gallons per fish still apply and if you buy the 8 gallon tank and put either one of the fish you mentioned in it then you will be fully stocked to start with or have water problems if you get both.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 1/7/2004 16:26
Plants #9
Some plants for you to check out:

Plants: Vallisneria tortifolia (corkscrew val) and hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum).
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 2/7/2004 18:47
Re: Plants #10
Hi Goldy,

Thanks very much for those recommendations. I've actually already planted 2 crypts (the "petchii" variety). I read in a Chris Cow article that these would help the cycling process along. I've not used the nutrient soil, however, because the shop said that this can generate a lot of debris if the fish go a digging! So I'm using liquid fertiliser instead. Hopefully the fish will like the taste of the crypts (but not too much! )

If these are nibbled to death I will stick in a couple of the plants you suggested at a later date - have taken a note of the names.

Fiona x.