zachdando zachdando
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/2/2009 9:46
Aquaone 620 - Any recommendation for changing filter media? #1
Hi All.

My Aquaone 620 uses the default internal trickle filter (2 bays filled with, ceramic noodles covered by sponge and then carbon pads on top).
I want to do away with the carbon as I feel I no longer need this.

Has anyone else got one of these tanks and if so what have you done and what would you advise with regards to modifying the standard filter set up?

Thanks in advance.
Quinny Quinny
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 10/2/2009 14:56
Re: Aquaone 620 - Any recommendation for changing filter media? #2
I have the tall version of your tank and have the same predicament.

The carbon wool cartridges are so expensive and need replacing ever 6 weeks or so.

I clean mine but recently I have just bought a Tetra Tec IN1000, a filter rated for 150 - 200 litres.

Chucked it on full, so far kept the tank a lot cleaner for a lot longer and reduced the maintenance of the standard filter.

I warn you though, the new filter is a big b*****d.

I have been recommended the use of some more natural filter, I'll see if I can find out.

***EDIT***

I was recommended the use of pond filter floss as a replacement for the carbon wool cartridge.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 10/2/2009 15:24
Re: Aquaone 620 - Any recommendation for changing filter media? #3
Carbon is unnecessary really unless you need to remove some meds or other chemicals. For this reason it's best to have some on standby but for every day use you don't need it.

For a freshwater tank all you need is some form of biological filtration and mechanical filtration. You've got your bio filtration in the form of the ceramic noodles (or balls or hoops or whatever). This gives the good bacteria somewhere to grow. Your mechanical filtration is sponges of varying size to physically remove bits of poo and debris. Bacteria will also grow on these sponges.

Manufacturers want you to buy the carbon for the exact reason Quinny said but you shouldn't need it really.
Quinny Quinny
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 11/2/2009 10:26
Re: Aquaone 620 - Any recommendation for changing filter media? #4
I have just bought some pond floss filter and started using it.

It is far superior to the original carbon cartridge in so many ways.

It is cheaper, you can block the water returning past the spray pipe and it's a better filter.

I paid about £3 for a big square, I can get at least 6 oversized filters for the large chamber.

I have only put it in the first chamber as a direct replacement for the cartridge. (the black foam still underneath)

The second chamber has still got the carbon cartridge as it has been barely affected at all.
SEarl SEarl
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/2/2009 11:42
Re: Aquaone 620 - Any recommendation for changing filter media? #5
I would say use the pond filter mesh. I used it in my Aquaone 620 for 4 years and had no problem with it at all.

Just had to cut it to size, but that was not an issue really
Is it Friday yet!!!

Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!