Jason- lager-nought Jason- lager-nought
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/1/2009 12:52
sidewards koi carp #1
Hi All

Sorry If you have answered this question before, but I have only just registered with this very informative web site.

I have had a garden pond for nearly three years now. It is 10 foot by 9 foot and 4 feet deep in places. I have 6 koi carp, 4 blue orfe, several shabumkins and had have many goldfish. I have not really experienced many problems apart from the odd goldfish dying, blamket weed, black spot and cats clawing.

However, I have a koi carp that from last june started to swim on a slight slant. This problem has now escalated and it likes to sit on the bottom on it's side. It does swim around the pond, comes to the top and tries to straighten up. There does not seem to be any swelling or obvious marks on the fish.

I did think this cold winter might have finished him/her off, but the little blighter (about 7 inch's long by the way) seems to be determind to see it's birthday in March. The other fish in the pond do not seem to have problems related to this one.

I am no expert in ponds at the moment but hopefully with contact with people who are, I might get there.

Many Thanks and I look forward to some possible advice, and possibly get him/her some fish cakes in March.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators Registered Users Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 20/1/2009 17:18
Re: sidewards koi carp #2
Hi Jason - how is your fish doing now? I'm not good on ponds but I know a man who is so will make sure he sees your post I think his internet is a bit temperamental at the mo so he may not have seen your post yet

From experience of goldies, swimming on its side could indicate something amiss with the swimbladder which is the fish's balance organ. Can you just double check that he does he have any other symptoms such as red streaks in fins/tail, red patches on body, frayed fins/tail, fuzzy patches, cloudy eyes, swollen body (even slightly) or clamps his fins against his body?
It's Not Just A Fish
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 20/1/2009 21:50
Re: sidewards koi carp #3
Well its hard to say a 100% so im not certain without seeing the fish.

Is the fish feeding at all?
Is it still fairly active?

A couple things spring to mind;

Infection in the swimbladder,
An internal tumour pressing up agaisnt the swimbladder.

However these are far from common.
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 21/1/2009 17:37
Re: sidewards koi carp #4
Hi Fredick_more

Thanks for the replies to my posts.

The fish was feeding and was more active leading upto the winter months. However, It is very hard to gauge now, as I am personally not feeding the fish, and the fish by nature are trying to keep warm at the bottom of the pond.

I went out and caught the fish this morning to see if i could see any external problems. In my opinion, i could not see anything that strikes me as an ailment.

I have taken note of your other reply regarding feeding and will feed accordingley.

What is the general fix for the koi carp problem that you have stated, Or is it to hard to define without more details? I can supply more details requested.

In response to the other post about waterfalls. I have my 7000 litre an hour pump 20 mm from the surface of the pond water, however, it feeds a uv light, 50 gallon tank and foam filters etc. The output of the tank then feeds the waterfall. So I might have a catch 22 situtation here!!!

Thanks for the help fredick.
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 21/1/2009 18:30
Re: sidewards koi carp #5
Well the depth of the pump is alright. Can you just stick a pipe on the end and put it into the pond? What size is the outlet.

In terms of the fish your best of getting some wheatgerm (often sinking is better) and when its a mild day and the fish are a little more active give a little food and see if it eats any. How active was it when you caught it?
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 21/1/2009 19:29
Re: sidewards koi carp #6
Hi Fredrick,

The size of the outlet on the fishmate 7000 pump I am using is "1 1/4" inch and this gives a very fast flow. The outlet on the tank I am using, which is an old 50 gallon water tank is probably not far off this size.

I have one pipe on the water tanks outlet that splits into three, This was to cope with the input of the pump. I was just thinking before replying, that I could re-plumb and adjust the pipework to flow straight into the pond. However, if the weather starts to mild, should I re-adjust?

As for the koi, I would say that it was giving the usual struggle in the net and in my hands as my smaller koi give.

Cheers
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 21/1/2009 20:27
Re: sidewards koi carp #7
It would be better if you could just move it to one pipe, however we are nearly at the end of the winter so it might not be worth doing this year.

Was he very easy to catch or did you put some struggle (even though its cold)?
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 21/1/2009 21:03
Re: sidewards koi carp #8
Yes, would say he put up a struggle in a sidewards sort of motion. Gave the usual back tail flipping action when in my hand. Very strange, the kids keep telling me that he is dead, and I have to keep telling them that he is ok and we will get the fish doctor to sort him.

I have have read a few posts on here regarding frozen peas, do you think this could be a way forward, or is this a solution for the summer months?

cheers
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 23/1/2009 17:20
Re: sidewards koi carp #9
Theres nothing much you can try this time of the year. Your best of waiting till the water warms up and seeing if it continues, it can be common for fish to be sitting at an angle during the winter (not during june though).

If it feeds alright then wait till spring and see what hes like.

Sorry i cant be anymore help
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 26/1/2009 11:51
Re: sidewards koi carp #10
Thanks for the help, I will do some more delving on the internet and let you know if i find out anything of use for future reference.

Have feed the fish sinking pellets as per your advice,the koi is still swimming around and looking very much alive.

Cheers.