FionaDouglas FionaDouglas
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/6/2004 13:22
Potential blackmoor owner seeks advice #1
Hello, I hope someone out there can help me. I have fallen in love with a blackmoor fish at my local garden centre and am thinking about buying one. I have NO knowledge about coldwater fish keeping whatsoever, but am keen to learn. My questions are as follows:-

1) How large a tank would two blackmoors need?
2) Are they better kept in pairs, and can you put a baby in with a large one?
3) Are there any health problems particular to blackmoors, and what is ick?
4) Is there such a thing as a self-cleaning tank?!

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/6/2004 14:02
Re: Potential blackmoor owner seeks advice #2
Hello Fiona and welcome to fishkeeping First can I just say well done for researching about the fish you wish to keep before buying any Black moors are lovely fish but are prone to get ill if not looked after properly.
Quote:
How large a tank would two blackmoors need?

they recommend roughly 8 UK gallons 10 US per goldfish so that would be about a 2ft tank, this may seem quite big while the fish are small but they do need the room to grow trust me
Quote:
Are there any health problems particular to blackmoors, and what is ick?

Black moors appear to be more succeptable to illness, but I think its just that with them being jet black they show any symtems up more, fancy goldfish are quite sensitive in general not just blackmoors, here is a link about ick http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/hdwspot.htm
Quote:
Are they better kept in pairs, and can you put a baby in with a large one?
You can keep one fish on its own fine although two look better together and yes you can keep a baby one in with an adult, so if you had one to start with you could add another later.
Quote:
Is there such a thing as a self-cleaning tank?!
No not really we wish
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/6/2004 14:18
Re: Potential blackmoor owner seeks advice #3
Hello

Have you heard of 'cycling' a tank Fiona, as this was my downfall with keeping Fancy Goldfish in a brand new tank?

Goldy has some really helpful posts up and they are well worth reading as Black Moors seem quite intolerant of bad water conditions.

Although there maybe no such thing as a 'self cleaning tank' i rarely have to do anything more difficult now my tank is established than syphon out a few litres of water every week - basically a partial water change.
I have learned now that a good filter and feeding the correct amount plus a few other small factors which reduce algae, such as certain plants in the tank and only having the light on for 9 hours a day mean i hardly have to clean anything in the tank at all.
I find my Goldfish very easy to keep, but as i say now they are established i had lots of trouble in the beginning due to not knowing about how to keep the water good enough for the inhabitants

Good luck with your tank if you decide to set one up
Resized Image