(1) 2 »
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/6/2004 22:42
Cleaned and cycling #1
Thank you Goldy, FishyFeet and lseaton, for all the advice on my last few posts....!

I've cleaned the tank out and started from scratch..
I'm letting it settle tonight, then I'll add some ammonia starting tomorrow..
I just got the Boots household kind which seems to be just ammonia solution, no additives...

So until the tanks ready I'm going to sort out what fish I'm going to get ...

My original plan was to go for a fanfail, a blackmoor (butterfly if I can find one) and then some smaller fish, something like minnows, or dannios, or suitable tetra's... but no more than about 6... Maybe there are some incopatibilities there..?

I was reading the Tom Griffin article and he mentions added many fish at once after the cycle...

Has anyone actually done this??

Cheers !
Steve
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/6/2004 22:47
Re: Cleaned and cycling #2
I am not sure who Tom Griffin is but I think 2 fancies are plenty on their own in a biorb without adding the other fish you mentioned, if you do you are going to have trouble again, its either the 2 fancies or the minnows etc but not all together
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 25/6/2004 8:00
Re: Cleaned and cycling #3
Ah... the link was on tomgriffin.com ... so I just assumed, but the article is by someone else...

Two fantials will give the fish 15L of water each. When you say that two fantails are enough, are you thinking about the entire life time of the fish? or just in the short term...

I am thinking of upgrading the tank later on and scaling up the aquarium in a year or so [ the reason I am starting with the small tank is due to my inexperience (start small) and the fact that my partner is not aware of the these plans so I want to introduce the idea slowly... LOL....].

So with that in mind will the BiOrb be suitable for over the next year.. before much growth has occured?

The BiOrb instructions state that four goldfish can be kept in there. I take it they're balancing fish health against making their product more attractive... [ annoying! ]

Anonymous  
Re: Cleaned and cycling #4
15l is 3 - 4 gallons of water per goldfish, the standard guide is 8 gallons per goldfish, its a big difference, goldfish dont do well in bi-orbs and it might be as well to stick to the minnow for now, until you upgrade, other wise the fish might not survive long enough to see the upgrade.
They produce so much waste they simply poison themselves,
unless you do very frequent water changes, or have a bigger filter, but its the size of the bi-orb thats the problem.
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 25/6/2004 11:41
Re: Cleaned and cycling #5
I Really wanted to keep goldfish ... :(

Whey do they get away with plastering the BiORb box with pictures of a BiOrbf full of gold fish then when it can only realy handle one ... Grrrr... I feel a nasty email coming on...

Well, anyways, other than Minnows and Danios what other fish would you recommend me looking at that are good for coldwater and a novice fishkeeper....

:)
Anonymous  
Re: Cleaned and cycling #6
its difficult if you want goldfish cos i dont think the bi-orbs are suited to goldfish, maybe you could get away with a very small one and a few minnows for now, but i could kick myself cos i know they grow quick and it will soon be too small for it.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 25/6/2004 15:03
Re: Cleaned and cycling #7
If you look at a biorb like it is a posh goldfish bowl with a filter then it isnt so bad to keep 2 very small fancy goldfish in one, as long as it has been cycled first and you keep up the maintenance, I have got a tiny telescope eyed fantail which would be fine for about a year in a biorb with another the same size as long as you get a larger tank for them as they grow it shouldnt be a problem, I know you don't like them Di but with common sence it can be done.

I wish meercat could come on and let us know how she is doing with hers.
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 26/6/2004 10:17
Re: Cleaned and cycling #8
Thanks for the advice but I goona have a look around at some of the smaller species before I decide...

Got a couple of weeks beforehte tanks ready anyways...

Guppies may be a possibility, I'll have to go a look at some... see how they rate..
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 26/6/2004 11:52
Re: Cleaned and cycling #9
That's good Systemattic better to look around and check out the fish first before buying, good luck
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 26/6/2004 13:32
Re: Cleaned and cycling #10
Quote:
Goldy wrote
I am not sure who Tom Griffin is

Now I do feel embarrassed as he is the guy who did the fishless cycleing thread or is he chris cow