(1) 2 »
awilson1908 awilson1908
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From County Durham
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/11/2008 10:35
Visit off a HERON!!! #1
I have had the pond installed and running for 18 months and have so far been lucky from HEron. However on saturday morning i woke up to find the pond keepers dreaded knightmare. That bloody big bird was perched at the side of my pond. I hammered on the window and it took off. sunday morning i woke up to 3 inches of snow on the garden with paw tracks round the pond in the snow. I will upload a photograph later.

What is the best method of detering these creatures (other than an air rifle)?

Is the nylon nets good enough or will i have to go with something like chicken wire?

HELP PLease
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers Caresheets
  • Posted on: 24/11/2008 14:19
Re: Visit off a HERON!!! #2
Wow, you're lucky to see one! I have only ever seen one in the lake district when I was about 12.

I think the heron could easily tear through the green netting, but I don't know whether it would go to the trouble to do that or not. Have you already got the nylon net installed? Has he tried breaking through it already?

You could of course get a bird scarer... but it might annoy the neighbours

I'd go with some chicken wire just to be safe.
jewi-lewi jewi-lewi
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/11/2008 22:49
Re: Visit off a HERON!!! #3
i used to see one with my dad when we was fishin every day lol we had our own methods or detering it lol

i also saw one empty my neighbours pond much to my ammusment as i was only young and didn't know his koi must have cost a fortune
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing!!!

Just Keep Swimming

Lewis
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 25/11/2008 12:42
Re: Visit off a HERON!!! #4
Well first of all i must mention the law, herons are a protected species therefore harming or killing them is against the law.

Netting (provided the whole pond is covered) will work, the heron will see the net when flying over and will just go the next unnetted pond. However devices include sensors that spray water across an area, however these are likely not to survive the winter and if poorly placed the heron will find a place it does not cover.
awilson1908 awilson1908
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From County Durham
  • Posted on: 26/11/2008 20:54
Re: Visit off a HERON!!! #5
here is the print of the little bar steward

Attach file:

jpg  (1,171.58 KB)
6330_492db76b47f18.jpg 3296X2472 px
Silvertip Silvertip
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 26/11/2008 21:55
Re: Visit off a HERON!!! #6
Bad news about the heron. My dad lost most of his goldfish from his new pond via herons.
I have researched how herons hunt and have found that they land away from the water and slowly walk to the waters edge. If there is a blockage such as a wire 12 inches high, they avoid walking further, they don't like lifting their legs high.
This might be a solution. Let me know if you have any luck?
Hi Peeps. I still have plenty of Assassin Snails for sale to help control pest snails that creep in on your plants. PM me for details
worwood worwood
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Technical Advice FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 26/11/2008 23:06
Re: Visit off a HERON!!! #7
RSPB suggestions - http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardeni ... heronsandponds/herons.asp
PFK suggestions - http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk ... article.php?article_id=36

My dad's given the taut wires a go and they seem to be working so far on his steep-sided pond but they need to be near anywhere the heron can stand - they don't perch so the wires are off putting. He had quite a few fish 'disappear' thanks to Herons but got annoyed with ugly netting.
Rent-A-Goat Rent-A-Goat
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Warwickshire
  • Posted on: 16/3/2009 9:00
Re: Visit off a HERON!!! #8
The nylon net on our pond has deterred the herons round here surprisingly well. To the extent of one of the herons sitting on the fence looking down at the pond as if he was trying to work a plan of entry but he left with an empty gullet and did not even try to get to the fish.
RedHeadPeter RedHeadPeter
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 31/3/2009 0:09
Re: Visit off a HERON!!! #9
Agree with Silvertip, an old country fella told me that the best thing to do is to put a 'trip wire' round the pond wherever they might be able to walk in, he said to use a few strands of fishing line.

It's a job I have to do - had to frighten off a huge heron who was n our garden first thing Saturday - and he was a determined sod, on first frightening he just flapped off a short distance and sat on someone's shed roof and then came back to perch on our fence. They are beautiful, but I would prefer they stay hungry!
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 2/4/2009 19:22
Re: Visit off a HERON!!! #10
Believe it or not herons can actually dive, so trip wire is still not completely foolproof.

A fake plastic heron doesn't work either, I had one & and unfortunately the heron paid a visit to my pond too.

Those sprinklers are ment to be the best method, only trouble is they are a faff on, and your guaranteed to get a good soaking everytime you try and look in the pond, so they are not a good solution.

Mesh or netting is the only guaranteed solution but it looks ugly, and makes it hard to see the fish with the reflection.

There is no real way to keep them away as they are quite a clever bird..