EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 18/11/2008 9:30
Fragging Coral? #1
I have a Devils Finger that I have successfully fragged but I'm not sure about the others. Actually that's a lie. I didn't frag it, Dory my Tang fragged it for me and the bits grew on their own, so my involvement was very minimal.

Original Image
Anyway point is it seems that if I want to frag Devil's Finger I just lop a bit off and glue it to a rock or leave it on a rock to attach itself.

The others I've got are :-
Torch Coral, I understand with this one I could break a head off at the base as each head is its own entity. Not planning to do this, just want to know how.

Original Image
This Finger Leather. It's likely I have to do this one soon. Lop a bit off again?

I've got an encrusting leather too. It coats the top surface of some reef bone. This has spread to an adjacent rock on its own so should I put a bit of rock next to it then cut it away after it spreads?

Original Image
Mushrooms: There are about 8 mushrooms on this rock but they don't seem keen on going anywhere else on their own. These are probably the most confusing to me.

Original Image
Xenia. Not a clue?!

Original Image
Old photo but more mushrooms of a different type and a little pussy? Not ready yet but I'd still like to know

Any hints tips and links gratefully received
Freakyshrimp Freakyshrimp
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 18/11/2008 11:48
Re: Fragging Coral? #2
Torch coral is quite brittle and should snap off easily at the lowest point that you can manage, if not just take a junior hacksaw to it. All your soft corals just cut a bit off with sharp scissors (if you can remove them from the tank while you do this would be best)if not make sure you've got some carbon in your filter. Re-attach your frags to small bits of live rock with elastic bands or fishing line. If your mushrooms are refusing to spread point a powerhead at them, they don't like it very much so will start moving across the rocks leaving small bits of foot behind which will turn into new shrooms. Or if you are impatient just cut the top off the shroom leaving the base behind, it will grow a new head, then put your shroom tops into a small tub of brocken live rock/shells, cover with mesh and leave them to attach. HTH
[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/uploads/photos/1472.jpg]Original Image[/ur
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 18/11/2008 12:30
Re: Fragging Coral? #3
Cheers
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 18/11/2008 13:28
Re: Fragging Coral? #4
My torch coral is growing like mad too and I'm scared stiff of fragging it... 3 heads are now splitting into 7 heads...

Good luck with the fragging EagleC and let me know how you get on, for when the time comes I need to do it myself!

I looked in to fragging Xenia myself not long ago and it seems it can be done out of water when the heads are retracted and simply cutting and peeling back a small section of the colony and attaching to a rock with fishing line. It's dead easy apparantly lol, still daredn't do it myself.
Original Image
[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-a
lr85ninety lr85ninety
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 18/11/2008 18:22
Re: Fragging Coral? #5
Original Image