sgarface sgarface
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Glamorgan
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/11/2008 8:54
Figure Eight Puffer.... #1
Hi everyone,

... what will this fish do best in, a fresh or brackish water setup? i have been doing a little research and there seems to be contradicting profiles on various different sites, i was just wondering what people here thought, or if anyone has any experience with them.

this is not a fish that i am considering getting as such, i am just interested more than anything!

thanks

Gareth
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 11/11/2008 9:07
Re: Figure Eight Puffer.... #2
They're freshwater fish that are salt tollerant but sensetive to nitrite poisoning and other ailments if the water quality isn't top notch or if the tank is overcrowded. Adding salt is a way that you can compensate for sloppy husbandry or poor quarantine but its not the right way.

Some will argue that because it gives you that extra little bit of safety its a good idea. I've never kept them but I have done quite a bit of research because I like puffers a lot. I would always recommend that the natural environment be copied as faithfully as possible.

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... sheet.php?caresheetID=177
sgarface sgarface
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 11/11/2008 9:25
Re: Figure Eight Puffer.... #3
Hi EagleC,

that was the first thing i read about them, a few other forums/profiles seem to disagree slightly.

They seem pretty awesome fish yeah, i really like the look on puffers, though i know i am not experienced enough to consider owning them myself just yet, i was trying to broaden my limited knowledge.

Cheers.

Gareth
fishy_tom fishy_tom
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 11/11/2008 10:27
Re: Figure Eight Puffer.... #4
I keep figure eights in a freshwater setup and they have been fine without salt. They white spot when i first quarantined them, but no other problems since. They need feeding on meaty foods and something with a shell every week. They have beaks so they need a shell to crunch so the beak doesn't over grow. They LOVE snails, i gave them about 80 the other day and my three puffers spent a happy half hour hunting and eating them. They also need a tank with lots of things to swim through and explore or they get bored and spend all their time swimming up and down the glass looking at themselves. They are lovely little fish and a joy to keep. They always swim up to the glass when they see you, and hide as soon as you get the camera out
To Dive or not to Dive.....
What a stupid question

Original Image
sgarface sgarface
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 11/11/2008 11:57
Re: Figure Eight Puffer.... #5
Cheers fishy_tom,

what size tank you have these puppies in? the more i read about them the more i think they're fantastic!

80 snails in 30 minutes, that's amazing! how many have you got?

Gar [ in work :( ]
fishy_tom fishy_tom
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 11/11/2008 12:11
Re: Figure Eight Puffer.... #6
I've got three in my 130l community. I think it was about 80 snails, it took me about half an hour to fish them out my other tanks. Perhaps it was more like 50, but anyway the puffers are greedy fish. They look quite fat which is good for a puffer fish. If your going to get some puffers look for nice fat ones and check what they are being fed on. They won't take flake, only meaty food. Frozen or live their not fussy When i fed my other fish flake once one of the puffers tried a bit then spat it out and gave me a disgusted look They do have a habit of biting everything they see to see if its edible
To Dive or not to Dive.....
What a stupid question

Original Image
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 11/11/2008 12:13
Re: Figure Eight Puffer.... #7
Make sure they're heathly and eating well in the store before buying too.
Silvertip Silvertip
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 11/11/2008 12:47
Re: Figure Eight Puffer.... #8
Hi, sorry to butt in, but do figure 8 puffers nip other fish in a mixed community tank?
Hi Peeps. I still have plenty of Assassin Snails for sale to help control pest snails that creep in on your plants. PM me for details
sgarface sgarface
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 11/11/2008 13:03
Re: Figure Eight Puffer.... #9
Hi Silvertip; no worries, sensible question!

if i were to purchase this breed of fish it would be for a single species tank as i have read about their tendancy to be aggressive! but i am nowhere near fully committing to anything yet!

EagleC: wise words as always!

Fishy_tom: as the only person that has replied with any experience of keeping these wonderful looking little fish, would you say a 20g tank is too small to keep 2-3 of these cause of their tendancy to fight..?

Gar [still in work :<]
sophie sophie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 11/11/2008 13:46
Re: Figure Eight Puffer.... #10
I used to keep them and I kept them in fresh water conditions.

Mine never attacked my Plec who was their tank mate. Actually they never so much as looked at him.

They can be fussy eaters and that is how I lost my first pair they just refused to eat after the first week of having them no matter what I tried to tempt them with.

Unfortunately I lost the second pair due to a very unexpected Nitrite spike.

Since then I have decided not to get anymore for a while. And then I may invest in getting older ones rather than babies this time as another LFS can order in adult ones.

Can't afford another tank yet though and also haven't really got room for another one either.
Lanzone Printer Ink, For All Your Printing Needs....
http://www.lanzone.co.uk/shop/

Original Image