woodsy58 woodsy58
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/7/2005 14:31
fish problems #1
hi i moved house about 15 months ago and inhereted a very small pond it just has a fountain and a pump with filter it only had four gold fish and last year they fed really well and grew well everytime i fed them they went mad for it but this year my son bought 2 small goldfish one died within 2 weeks it looked like it had been worried by some of the others the other small one is doing well but for some reason the original four are not feeding and are constantly hiding i hardly see them and when i do they seem to be gasping, mouthes on the surface i cannot see any thing wrong ie sores damage with then has anyone any ideas please
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/7/2005 15:21
Re: fish problems #2
Hello there have your fish only stopped feeding by any chance since we have had the recent hot weather or is it possible you have had a visit from a heron as they will hide if scared
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/7/2005 15:39
Re: fish problems #3
usually when fish are gasping at the surface like that, either there is not enough oxygen in the water or the fish have a problem with their gills preventing them from taking up the oxygen that is there, the two new fish may have brought something to your pond.
how many gallons is a small pond? have you tested your water? and is the filter working properly, or is there anything else you can tell us?
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
boroughmal boroughmal
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From wicklow ireland
  • Posted on: 2/7/2005 14:02
Re: fish problems #4
New ponds
Clean out excess weed (not all the weed).
Replant old & overgrown weeds & plants.
Use aeriating weeds
Introduce Oxygen to the water, this will help start the cycle.
Sludge is a killer, it harbours aeromonas. drag it out.
Provide cover for you fish to hide(lillies etc)
introduce a natural form of aeriation such as a waterfall
Power it by a pump to suit the size of the pond.
Provide a filter if you are going to put in fish of more than 1" to a square foot of surface area.
Examine your fish for external problems such as missing fins or green patches.If you have any of these examine the treatments available.
This is just the start, and will rectify any or all of the problems that you have.
Regards
www.fishkeepingsupplies.com
Aquarium and Fish Supply Tropical
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 2/7/2005 14:19
Re: fish problems #5
and as i have said before who ever said that keeping a pond was relaxing wants drowning in one, i am on more valium and librium since having the pond than ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

only joking

where's me pills

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
boroughmal boroughmal
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From wicklow ireland
  • Posted on: 2/7/2005 20:09
Re: fish problems #6
I have posted a complete thread after seeing that more than one person had the same problem and listed it above
Regards
www.fishkeepingsupplies.com
Aquarium and Fish Supply Tropical
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/7/2005 20:47