lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/6/2004 15:13
Maintaining Temperature #1
Hello All

Not sure if anyone had this happen over the weekend, but our sunny weather in Cheshire turned into cold rain.
This affected the temp of my tank water rapidly, as no one switched any heating on as it's supposed to be summer.
The water temp went from being it's usual 22-23 degrees to 18 degrees. The behaviour of my 2 fancies altered because of the rapid drop, my shubunkin didn't seem to bother though.

Because of this, i am thinking of getting a heater to maintain the slightly warmer water the fish are used to. Can you get heaters to keep the water at about 23 degrees or are the fish used to cooler water at night times???
I am worried about winter now, because of this
Any views?
Resized Image
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/6/2004 15:49
Re: Maintaining Temperature #2
Normally the temperature drops slowly through the night and then warms up gradually when the heating comes on again so not such a shock to the fish, although in the winter it can get very cold in the night so you can put a heater in to keep the tank at room temperature if you prefer.
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 21/6/2004 16:45
Re: Maintaining Temperature #3
Think i might look into it Goldy, as they weren't happy with the cold
I think it was the speed of the temp drop which they didn't like, but on the package of the thermometer, it says fancies like the higher temps and more hardy ones like Comets and Shubs prefer 18-19 degrees.

Am going to pop into the Aquarium shop on my way home and maybe ask some questions.
My room is on the corner of the house and is often the coldest as it doesn't get much direct sun (good for the aquarium) and seems to catch the wind a lot, so it can get cold quickly
Resized Image
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 21/6/2004 17:02
Re: Maintaining Temperature #4
When I got my Rena tank it came with a heater which I thought I wouldn't get to use but as it was november I decided to put it in anyway and keep it on 22c so that when the heating went off it was there for back up if it went too cold over night, if the temperture doesn't drop then it won't come on but you have peace of mind knowing that it will if it does go colder, I have fancies and regular together as you know and they all seemed ok with the heater
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 22/6/2004 10:50
Re: Maintaining Temperature #5
Well that would be ok if it just comes on when the temp gets too low and it's good to know your regular goldies didn't mind to
Resized Image
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 23/6/2004 10:11
Re: Maintaining Temperature #6
Goldy i just read this from your link in the "Black fantail losing scales" post
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk ... article.php?article_id=48

Quote:
During the winter months when the temperature in the fish house drops to around 50°F, a white mucus layer sometimes appears on the hood. This mucus layer is quite normal and will slowly disappear as the temperature rises.

I mentioned to you on MSN Messenger that one of my Orandas had a small white blob on his bobbley head, maybe that is why - when the water got quite cold for them
I added a little Aquarium Salt and it disappeared by the next morning, but maybe it disappeared due to the temp increasing and getting back to it's usual 22 degrees
Resized Image
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 23/6/2004 12:36
Re: Maintaining Temperature #7
I did mention the very same thing on another post not so long back linsay not sure if it was on here or fc though Its surprising what you can learn off the internet and I am still learning myself all the time