furiousferret furiousferret
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/10/2008 21:21
baby carpet python wont feed #1
got it last week, has never fed for me. last ate 21/8 hatched on 9/7. well scared im going to loose it, dont know what to do! have appointment for other snake at vet tomorrow, thinking of taking baby along as well

scared scared scared
Original Image
Who is the Fifth Cylon? answers on a postcard...
sophie sophie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Suffolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/10/2008 0:11
Re: baby carpet python wont feed #2
If I was you I would.

The problem it is a known problem with that type of snake.

I had one once that was a fussy eater and in the end he had to be re-homed to someone with more knowledge on how to handle the problem.

It might be worth you PMing LHG he maybe able to offer you some helpful pointers.

Hope you getting him to eat something soon.

PS. Mine liked day old chicks but if yours is a baby it might not be bale to manage them yet.
Lanzone Printer Ink, For All Your Printing Needs....
http://www.lanzone.co.uk/shop/

Original Image
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 23/10/2008 0:22
Re: baby carpet python wont feed #3
try braining the mice you are feeding it i know its grose but literally cut the scull in half revealing the brain usually gets them feeding
[img]http://i275.p
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 23/10/2008 6:08
Re: baby carpet python wont feed #4
Snake sausages are handy for those poor feeders, shove one in, the rest follow. Probably better if it doesnt go to force feeding, but you can nearly always force feed a snake if needs must. Personally i'd never let a snake starve to death because its under stress, sometimes a force feed can be necessary, and it must be done, anorexia in reptiles is common when under stress, and you can usually get them past it as long as conditions and privacy needs are met.GWA'S braining trick is a good one, gets lots of snakes feeding, though granted I just shove the tohgs through the mouses skull and give it a squeeze so the brain pops out a bit, its a bit safer than having sharp sheared bones. You can also warm them to blood temperature in warm water, that sometimes gets em going.There's also "scenting" , if you know someone with a chunky lizard, especially a skink, get them to give you some freshly sloughed skin and rub it on the prey item.

First need to check if theres any physical/metabolic reason its not feeding, whats the viv set up? Whats the average temps/basking temps? Relative humidity? Decor? Has it been handled at all? Does it have lights, and if so how long are they on for? Pics of viv and snake will help.
Original Image
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 23/10/2008 6:25
Re: baby carpet python wont feed #5
..and of course food sizing is important, especially for youngsters, are you giving him pinkies or fuzzies?
Original Image
dwss59 dwss59
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Caresheets Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 29/10/2008 20:27
Re: baby carpet python wont feed #6
First need to check if theres any physical/metabolic reason its not feeding, whats the viv set up? Whats the average temps/basking temps? Relative humidity? Decor? Has it been handled at all? Does it have lights, and if so how long are they on for? Pics of viv and snake will help. By LHG

Firstly you only got the animal last week and it could perhaps do with settling in for longer.
There are many factors that can affect this, as laid out above but LHG,
Also do you have enough hides in the environment pics,sizes, temps etc will all help.

Are you sure it hasn't fed since 21/8?
Central Americans; once they pop they don't stop!