(1) 2 »
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/6/2004 9:04
Even More worring #1
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the Advice in reply to my last post... :)

Things are getting worse though. I've been doing water changes
at about 25% ofhte water a time and the NO3/NO2 level have been dropping off nicely.... down to ~10/1 mg/l respectively... as of saturday...

I bought an ammonia test kit an this shows the ammonia levels are practically nil.. :)

However things have got worse... My fish now has a cotton-wool type fungal growth on his tail fin...

I bought some anti-fungal remedy from pet shop and added this on Saturday night. I followed instructions and removed the carbon and active filter granules from my filter...
Fingers crossed this would solve the problem....

Sunday morning, on closer inspection and after some web research I spotted the white spot... Lots of it....
So I ran out and got some white-spot treatment, thinking that treating the white-spot first then dealing with the secondary fungus was the best plan...

I've added some white spot-treatment [ws3 white spot terminator] along with some aquarium salt to deal with the fungus [2 tablespoons for my 30litre biorb], this was following advice from the pet shop...

Problem is now, the nitrate levels seem to be spiking back up and my fish is back to hanging around the surface beside the airflow... :(

By taking the carbon out of the filter am I likely to get bad NO3/NO2 levels?

I though I might not be getting enough circulation in my tank for filtering / aeriation etc... the pump I have is a Rena 50 which provides a decent but gentle bubble stream...
Any one familiar with this model... Should this be enough fo r a 30l tank?

TIA
Steve
Anonymous  
Re: Even More worring #2
I think you may have added the medication to quickly, I recently got a couple of golfish from a fairground, they were going to be killed, (anyway long story) I added salt, and melafix, and they just got worse, and died, and someone said rather too late, I should add the medication a little at a time esp the salt so the fish acclimatises to it.
Just a thought, only these fish, where at the surface gasping for air, even though i added an airstone.
I would seriously for the time being, until someone can say for sure, (your airpump seems fine) I think the fish is finding it hard to cope, do a good waterchange add the whitespot, cos thats nasty, leave the salt for a day and see if he is happier and then add a little salt at a time and see how he goes, if there is an improvement then the medication was stressing him out.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/6/2004 14:29
Re: Even More worring #3
You say you added the fungus treatment on the saturday and on sunday bought the white spot treatment and added that, did you put that in as well as the fungus treatment because its not good to mix treatments they recommend at least 7 days apart plus they can lower the oxygen in the water the salt is fine but some treatments can kill off the good bacteria on the filter etc which in turn effects the cycle.

Quote:
By taking the carbon out of the filter am I likely to get bad NO3/NO2 levels?

It shouldn't effect the cycle.
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 21/6/2004 16:26
Re: Even More worring #4
Hi Goldy,

I did think of that one and asked in my local pet shop if i could start the white spot treatment straight away and they said yes.

I hope this was good advice...

Going home in 1/2 an hour so I'mm see how he's doing and do a partial water change.

I have fingers and toes crossed...

If that is hte case though and he's still gasping, what can I do about it? oxygenation tablets?

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 21/6/2004 16:49
Re: Even More worring #5
What make are the treatments? the airstone should be fine so no need for oxygen tablets water changes should refresh the oxygen content but also will reduce the treatment so may not work as effective.
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 22/6/2004 14:41
Re: Even More worring #6
Hi Goldy,

The fungus treatment was "Fin rot and Fungus control" made by Sinclair sahc.

Sinclar SAHC

The white spot treatment is also by them, but not the one listed on their website. It's called "WS3 White spot terminator".

Over the phone, they said about 2 weeks worth of treatment to clear up the white spot.... Instructions say I add a new dose every 48hrs...

I'm still doing 20% water changes per day, and adding 1/3 a tablespoon of salt with each change, my fish doesn't look happy though and still spends lots of time at the water surface.

( re-tested ths morning NO2 & NO3 -> 5mg/l & 25mg/l
and NH3 = nil)

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 22/6/2004 14:45
Re: Even More worring #7
Its king british treatments yes is it this one
http://www.fishathome.co.uk/diseasetreatments_kingbritishws3.htm

What does it say on the box about the bilogical filter it normally says if it doesnt affect the bacteria?
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 22/6/2004 21:51
Re: Even More worring #8
Nope no word of that....

it says

"continue filteration during treatment"
" recommend a 10% water change after treatment has finished...>"
"Renew filter carbon after termination"

and then info about dosage and tank size...

That's it.... i'm thinking this is probably a bad sign,....

icthytitch icthytitch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 22/6/2004 23:31
Re: Even More worring #9
have you tried raising the tank temperature, the ich can only be killed when it is in the free swimming stage of its life cycle, by increasing the temperature you speed up its life cycle thus it developes quicker & can be killed quicker. try increasing to 85*f
dont worry to much about the NO3(nitrate), this can go to 100mg/l without causing major problems, its the ammonia & nitrite you have to watch.
as re the charcoal, you can run without any charcoal in your filter, the only time you need charcoal is after medication has been carried out & the treatment has ran its full course, then the charcoal can be put back in to remove the treatment, once done the charcoal can be removed again.
HTH
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 23/6/2004 13:40
Re: Even More worring #10
I don't have a heater unfortunately....

He's still hanging in there but he's stopped eating now....
He didn;t eat this morning or last night... just ignored the food...