(1) 2 »
sophie sophie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Suffolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/9/2008 19:39
Coffee table aquarium!!! #1
I went onto the Clearseal website to check the dimensions of the tanks I intend to get the kids so I could work out how many litres they will be after reading the thread about putting tanks on furniture rather than stands as this is what I have planned to do with theirs (I was going to put them on their chest of drawers) and the main page had a coffee table aquarium on it.

http://www.clearseal.com/

Was just thinking about folks thought on it. Me and Hubby weren't to sure on the idea. It doesn't look to practical to me!

I'm not sure on the dimensions or the literage as I've not really looked into it.
Lanzone Printer Ink, For All Your Printing Needs....
http://www.lanzone.co.uk/shop/

Resized Image
sophie sophie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 24/9/2008 19:46
Re: Coffee table aquarium!!! #2
Heres the infomation the site gives about this product

Coffee Table Aquarium

The Clearseal coffee table aquarium comes with a toughened glass top that has polished rounded edges. It has either a reproduction style wooden or mirror corner section that covers the filter and lighting system.
All of the coffee table aquariums come complete with light diffuser, fine and coarse biological sponges, plastic filter cover and acrylic table top support blocks.
The following sizes are available:

TAB 1 34.5" x 34.5" x 16" (876 x 876 x 406MM)
TAB 2 42" x 27" x 16" (1067 x 686 x 406MM)
TAB 3 51" x 31" x 16" (1296 x 787 x 406MM)
TAB 4 58" x 34.5" x 16" (1473 x 876 x 406MM

Resized Image
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 24/9/2008 19:52
Re: Coffee table aquarium!!! #3
Nope, I don't like them either. Doesn't look like they have much space for a background so the fish are exposed on all sides, apart from what shoddy decor you decide to put in the middle. Plus the fact that coffee tables tend to be in the middle of the room, or in front of a sofa, while fish tanks are ideally kept in a quiet corner of a room, so there'd be too much in the way of activity for my liking, not to mention all the cups/mugs, feet (someone's bound to be stupid enough to put their feet on a glass coffee table), people drumming on the glass etc that would occur on a daily basis. Not to mention the fact that to actually see the fish from the side, you'd have to be lying on the floor.

Another gimmick that doesn't take into account the fish's welbeing, then.
T.L
Resized Image
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 24/9/2008 20:50
Re: Coffee table aquarium!!! #4
It could work under very specific circumstances but you've got young kids haven't you?
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 24/9/2008 22:25
Re: Coffee table aquarium!!! #5
I don't know about the clearseal ones, but some of the others have in their favour that they are a decent volume with excellent surface area.
If you are in an adult only household, no free-range pets, where people understand about fish I think they're fine, but we couldn't fulfil the criteria here that's for sure!
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
sophie sophie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 25/9/2008 0:54
Re: Coffee table aquarium!!! #6
Quote:

EagleC wrote:
It could work under very specific circumstances but you've got young kids haven't you?

I wasn't thinking about getting one I just came across it when looking for some 2 foot tanks for the kids.

Just generally interested in what people thought of it!

Resized Image
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 25/9/2008 9:29
Re: Coffee table aquarium!!! #7
i think the clearseal ones are pants, have seen a couple 'for real' and theres not much hieght to the water, so really on a suitable depth for small shallow water liking fish... and the lid touches the sides so condensation can form all over the top.. not very pratical design i dont think, and with the filter on one corner i would think that leaves pretty much dead water in the other half of the tank..
although i wouldnt recommend them exactly, we have a coffee table aquarium (boyfs choice...lol), but the other kind, cant remember who makes it, but its a hexagonal tank approx a metre by a metre, and about 40cm deep, the glass lid is supported by short cushioned pillars so big gap, which does mean the tank evaporates quite a lot and has to be topped up (good job i got my own ro unit lol!) but the lights are 6 x 12 inch bulbs around the sides, two pumps set into two of the side chambers, and is uses gravel filtration tho which makes it a nitemare to maintain compared to all my other tanks, we have to take it apart usually about once a year so far as the gravel starts to creep under pipes! it looks cool tho got some nice twisty bits of wood and plants in there..
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Animal Mother Animal Mother
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 25/9/2008 10:50
Re: Coffee table aquarium!!! #8
Quote:

Coralline wrote:
i think the clearseal ones are pants, have seen a couple 'for real' and theres not much hieght to the water, so really on a suitable depth for small shallow water liking fish... and the lid touches the sides so condensation can form all over the top.. not very pratical design i dont think, and with the filter on one corner i would think that leaves pretty much dead water in the other half of the tank..
although i wouldnt recommend them exactly, we have a coffee table aquarium (boyfs choice...lol), but the other kind, cant remember who makes it, but its a hexagonal tank approx a metre by a metre, and about 40cm deep, the glass lid is supported by short cushioned pillars so big gap, which does mean the tank evaporates quite a lot and has to be topped up (good job i got my own ro unit lol!) but the lights are 6 x 12 inch bulbs around the sides, two pumps set into two of the side chambers, and is uses gravel filtration tho which makes it a nitemare to maintain compared to all my other tanks, we have to take it apart usually about once a year so far as the gravel starts to creep under pipes! it looks cool tho got some nice twisty bits of wood and plants in there..

Any photos of that one? It sounds interesting.
Triumph Daytona 955i
Audi S6 2.2
Fluval Roma 125

NEW TANK? NEED HELP GETTING STARTED? CLICK HERE
Wurzel Wurzel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/9/2008 13:24
Re: Coffee table aquarium!!! #9
Me and my girlfreind were considering getting one for her red eared sliders (Terrapins) as they are only a year and a half old and its a good size for them. I do think they are a little shallow for most fish though.
I'd play around with the idea of having some frogs or fire bellys in there when the terrapins get to big and can live outside in the summer but i dont know. Im trying to think of fish that would be interesteing to put in there as (i know you will all hate me for this!) Im not a big fan of goldfish. I think maybe some sword tails or a decent pair of goramis but i dunno. Gimme some sugestions if you can!
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 25/9/2008 14:28
Re: Coffee table aquarium!!! #10
i think they are a lot of money for a temporary home for terrapins, which i dont think has sufficient filtration to deal with 2 growing terrapins either, i think animals like that need more of an indoor type pond affair in this country, i dont think its wise to expect them to live outside during the summer even, they are tropical creatures and need high enough temps (basking spot minimum) for correct metabolism, which our summer just wont give them consistantly from day to day.
i make our tank work with quite a lot of maintenance for what it is really, and i think you could spend the same money and create somethign a lot more long term suitable for the terrapins, you really dont want under gravel filters for use with terrapins, it just wont do the job, a large external cansiter would be much more suitable. and then you gotta consider the lighting, these tanks dont give you room for reptile lamps, terrapins will spend time out of the water basking if they can, and need uv light.

they do make interesting tanks, its nice being able to look in through all the sides and have a veiw from the top too, and being low, wide tanks they can be scaped fairly interstingly although its pretty much planted with java fern as thats the only thing i can get to grow as its on the wood, rather than planted. got a few crytopcorynes round the edges under the lights and where the pipes dont run. but thats about it, got a few butterfly fish, corys, loaches, a baby polypterus and a few others. a bit of a swampy effect lol!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...