cuore155 cuore155
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 20:49
Is this a catfish? #1
Hi,
I inherited 4 fish, 2 of which I think are pregnant. But I don't know what they are.
Thanks
Stewart

Attach file:

jpg  (281.65 KB)
7356_48d80496280b3.jpg 1536X1152 px
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: FK Supporter Advisers Moderators Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 21:05
Re: Is this a catfish? #2
Hi Stewart, welcome to FK

Yes that is a catfish. I'm really hoping someone will correct me but I think you've got these http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=172 I'm hoping that's not the case as it would be trouble for you. Where did you inherit them from?
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 21:11
Re: Is this a catfish? #3
oh lordy, the size of your average 10 year old child if that's what they are ...
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Silvertip Silvertip
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 21:30
Re: Is this a catfish? #4
They look very similar to 3 catfish my brother had in yorkshire.

This is a quote that was posted about my brothers fish :

Yup, theyre pangasius all right. They will eat every fish you own as soon as size permits, and suitable aquaria for them are really counted in thousands of gallons. No kidding. Humane tanksizes for even a single specimen of this fast and open swimming shoaling species would be around 18 foot x 6ft x4ft, giving you a tank around 2690 gals, and for a full size shoal you could double that or more. The filter suited would be the size of a hot water boiler for a family home.

Take em back or prepare for the very largest of monster tanks, setting something up for them for life would require you spend about as much as you would purchasing a small car. Expect 3 feet plus adult sizes, even in captivity, though most people dwarf them and kill them. Also a med sensitive really needing UV sterilisation. Persistant contender in the top ten of fish people should never keep. They should really be banned from open sale, almost nobody can care for these fish adequately without a tropical pond. 99.99% of those sold just die in captivity, the trade in them as pets should face a total ban really, even most public aquaria would wince at the thought of taking them on. They are only cheap and available because they are a farmed food fish.
Hi Peeps. I still have plenty of Assassin Snails for sale to help control pest snails that creep in on your plants. PM me for details
cuore155 cuore155
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 21:30
Re: Is this a catfish? #5
Wow, this is a great site!
I've just got a new tank and they came with it, along with another unidentified fish (sorry rubbish photo) and several others which I can identify.
Looking at the photos on the Planet Catfish site, they do look very similar. I hope they don't keep growing, I've only got 180ltrs! That might explain where my existing Neons went when I introduced them into the new tank.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: FK Supporter Advisers Moderators Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 21:34
Re: Is this a catfish? #6
Oh dear, I'm afraid they will either keep growing or they will become stunted and die it might be better to start looking for a new home for them now. Any chance you can post a pic of the other one even if it's a bit blurry? Just in case it turns out to be a giant gourami or something! I wonder if the person that sold you the tank knew what the fish were
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 22:44
Re: Is this a catfish? #7
These are public aquaria sized fish, IMHO they find almost no suitable homes ever, as you can imagine, people owning aquaria of several thousand gallons are few and far between, even most zoos would have problems accomodating them properly. Id take them back to the shop unless you happen to be very rich and willing to practically get into the civil engineering level project rrequired to home them properly. Let them deal with the problem, and make it clear to them how massively irresponsible it is to sell a tropical fish of this potential size to an average UK aquarium owner.

I mean seriously, how many people in this country can house these guys- a dozen - maybe? Yet the fish are sold in hundreds every year to face furures of sufferring and premature death. Fish shops need to know this and to learn how massively inappropriate and encouraging of animal abuse it is to sell these fish. Rescues are often inundated by these fish and most will inevitably face the clove oil, the needle, or the whack on the head, as people about to turn their ground floor into a tropical pond are few and far between.

I think its time petshops were forced to face the severity of this issue. Its not acceptable to regularly stock these fish in petshops for the handful of people in the entirety of the UK who can take care of them. Put it this way, if a petshop chain has more than a half dozen of these go through their books across the entire chain-THATS TOO MANY! They are a massive public aquaria sized fish, and only people with those sizes of aquaria should have access to them, whiuch means quite simply, you should never casually see them in a petshop - EVER.

If these fish are banned in the UK or made available only to zoos and are never available to normal aquarists, then im afraid no matter what peoples opinion on the matter, its the only way forward. At present we have hundreds die for the couple of dozen that are housed properly and wont need replacement for 20 years or more. The TOTAL amount of these fish the UK can absorb in a given year is obviously less than a hundred.Any more than that will simply just suffer abuse and die, and thats not acceptable.

Please be responsible fishkeepers, and when seeing pangasius catfish on the shelves, - just say no to animal abuse, and let the petshops know you dont appreciate seeing them in stock for general sale. Never encourage the fandom or general sale of these fish. To respect them is not to let them die in the hands of the average aquarist who cant run a several thousand gallon tropical pond. If you want to see them, see them in zoos or in the wild, if you want to appreciate them, read about them, but don't own them. To love something, to truly respect something, well, sometimes you have to let the idea of owning it go, and go forever.

No more pangasius in the UK please people- privateers, shop owners, corporates- NO MORE PANGASIUS. Lets see this end. No more newbies duped into owning these species please.

(No disrespect intended to the original poster BTW, he's merely a victim of a the system, these fish should never have been available to him, and I wish him every success in finding them a good home, though I know the chances are remote)

Its also a good reminder never to buy a fish without researching it first, something everyone should be doing, though seldom should not researching a fish result in something as serious as finding oneself owning a pangasius catfish. This is the fault of the industry entirely, and they need to sort their bloody lives out on the issue, this is reprehensible behaviour!

Its like having a hand grenade on a shelf in tesco, and then blaming people for not researching that hand grenades blow people up. It shouldnt bloody be there to choose in the first place!
Original Image
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 22:51
Re: Is this a catfish? #8
well sead LHG but i think he inherited these fish with a tank
[img]http://i275.p
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 22:52
Re: Is this a catfish? #9
Even so, someone made the mistake of buying them in the first place, and they should never have been in this position because of severely lacking moral fibre and mindless profiteering without conscience in the fishkeeping industry. Its a disgrace. I berate no-one for trying to rescue or home a fish, but this is a species beyond almost everyone. Perhaps its even worse that good people get lumped with hard choices because of such a short sighteed and stupid industry. These guys are food fish, bred for the asian food market, often in terrible conditions, and many arent even safe for consumption, so badly is the industry regulated. Certainly though, live pangasius should not find themselves on UK soil.
Original Image
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 22/9/2008 22:56
Re: Is this a catfish? #10
defanetly i wholeheartedly agree with you and the sooner they are BANNED the better in my view
[img]http://i275.p