(1) 2 3 »
davadvice davadvice
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/9/2008 20:13
My opinion #1
I have just read a post on here and I have to agree in relation to the original post ("Plain English") somewhat.

I think that the few seem to love telling people that they are terrible fish keepers when they come on and ask a perfectly honest question if you look at the post counts on here I believe that the top 10(excluding Stickies) will be in relation to people doing something that would harm the fish.

I originally posted regarding Fishless Cycling 8-10 weeks back and the advise I got was great however when I was getting to a crucial stage I could not get any answers and just done what I thought was best. I would like to say thanks to the people who took the time to give me advice and helped me out.

I would also like to say that a guide to setting up a tank in plain English would be a great asset to the site as getting the information for me was not the easiest thing to do. I am a programmer and have to say I find getting good code for a program easier than getting straight forward advice on how to set up a fish tank and programmers can be the worst hoarders on the planet.

The forum is a great tool for getting the information that we need however I think if the stickies where cleaned up and decent clear instructions for the most popular questions where answered.

Regards
David
FRF 777, internal Filter. 100w elite Heater *1

Last test Results
02/09/08
AM 0 ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
NitrAte 40ppm
PH 6.4

No fish as yet
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 15/9/2008 20:19
Re: My opinion #2
Fair enough, if you can describe to us exactly where you found explanations were not clear, and where info in the stickies is a mite confusing or leaves you with a knowledge gap, and well be happy to correct. I can see a couple of things in them that need revising again.

Perhaps just copy and paste a sticky and highlight areas that are confusing to you and why, or where perhaps there is something you feel is missing that would have been helpful to know, and we'll get on it.
Resized Image
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 15/9/2008 20:36
Re: My opinion #3
Good point, there are some difficult principles out there and I'm certainly one of those people that doesn't react well to terminology when I'm trying to get my head round something!

But the key is, don't be scared to ask questions, if your stuck or don't understand something then just ask, many will be more than happy to explain a little more.

*Bless EagleC's patience when trying to explain the finer points of water chemistry to me* lol
Resized Image
[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-a
Ickl Devil Ickl Devil
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 15/9/2008 21:01
Re: My opinion #4
Quote:

Goldnugget wrote:
Good point, there are some difficult principles out there and I'm certainly one of those people that doesn't react well to terminology when I'm trying to get my head round something!

But the key is, don't be scared to ask questions, if your stuck or don't understand something then just ask, many will be more than happy to explain a little more.

Well said but sometimes I get paranoid I'm asking too many stupid questions and worry people will think I'm too thick or stupid to be keeping fish in the first place. I spend hours researching the internet to try and get an understanding on something so I don't have to ask a seemingly stupid question. Then get confused by so many different answers when you look at different mediums and speaking to different people. eek!! So I usually end up having to ask my daft questions in the end anyway lol.
davadvice davadvice
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/9/2008 21:17
Re: My opinion #5
Hi,

here is a link I was advised to look at in this thred

I am not a chemist and reading all they periodic table ref's was not a pleasure.

would it not be a good idea to have a spreadsheet that calculates the volume of Ammonia to be added pre the tank spec?

@ LHG it's not the lack of understanding it's the work that is required to get what i deem basic info. I'm sorry but this is keeping fish, not astro phisics.

regards

David
FRF 777, internal Filter. 100w elite Heater *1

Last test Results
02/09/08
AM 0 ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
NitrAte 40ppm
PH 6.4

No fish as yet
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 15/9/2008 21:24
Re: My opinion #6
No one said keeping fish is easy

But that's what we're all here for, we should only link something we understand ourselves... It does require an awful lot of thinking about and a lot of research. After all we're looking after living animals so it's important we get it right. We're not trying to exclude people that don't understand but sometimes the sciencey stuff has to make an appearence
Resized Image
[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-a
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 15/9/2008 22:40
Re: My opinion #7
I offered to help and all I got in response was this.

@ LHG it's not the lack of understanding it's the work that is required to get what i deem basic info. I'm sorry but this is keeping fish, not astro phisics.

I'm taking it up with mods and admin. I am not a butt to be kicked for your own frustrations. I didnt write the cycling stickies, I merely offerred to modify them as per your requirements, as as nugget has quite correctly noted, when dealing with issues of chemistry it becomes a re requirement to know something of chemistry.

This attitude is not acceptable. The other thread was locked because it was becoming fatuous, and thats not a decision I made either.
Resized Image
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 15/9/2008 22:41
Re: My opinion #8
Hi,
Going back to the first post of the thread I'd like to appologise that you didn't get the help you needed. I try to get to every post that hasn't had a satisfactory answer especially when its something as fundamental as cycling. So do many of the other advisors but sometimes we miss one.

I agree that finding quality code examples is easier than solid and reliable fishkeeping information but your googling skills will serve you well. Keep at it and keep posting questions. If you dont get an answer in a day or two by all means alert an advisor to your post by a PM or simply bump it again.

Moving on, there is an ammonia calculator that someone has written but I cant remember the weblink. Basically though 1ml of household ammonia in a 100L tank is about 1ppm (also 1mg/l). So being a programmer I'm sure the maths is well within your grasp from that

For cycling the simplest method I have is
1. test ammonia every day and add 2ppm ammonia every day the ammonia tests below 2ppm.

2. Test nitrite as well once ammonia starts to drop. When ammonia is zero and nitrite have increased and comes back down to zero the tank is cycled.

3. When the cycle completes change enough water to get nitrate back down to 40ppm or lower - the lower the better. This can mean 2 or 3 80% water changes.

There is tons more that can be written and lots of little things you can do to help properly mature the tank but thats about all it comes down to in order to make a tank safe for the first fish.
Fishadmin Fishadmin
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Spain
  • Group: Webmasters Registered Users LFS Caresheets Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/9/2008 22:45
Re: My opinion #9
Quote:

davadvice wrote:

would it not be a good idea to have a spreadsheet that calculates the volume of Ammonia to be added pre the tank spec?

David

One day there'll be a little applet on the site to help with cycling but there's a bit of a queue!
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 15/9/2008 22:50
Re: My opinion #10
Maybe I should do a sticky on fishless cycling with Biomature, which is what I used when I could not find household ammonia anywhere. An unkind person might say that was the solution for the person with more money than sense, but it does have the virtue of simplicity.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam