systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/6/2004 22:35
Worrying Behaviour #1
Hi Everyone....

I'm a little worried about my Fantail today as he seems to be constantly hanging around at the surface of the tank just under the water level.

The air pump has been running continuously and there are plently of bubbles coming through...

I did do a test 3 days ago and the NO2 & NO3 levels were a bit high so I did a partial water change using Stress Coat and then added teh weekly dose of stress Zyme...

I tested again today and the NO3 have dropped to ~10mg/l but the NO2 are above 5mg/l but below 10mg/l..

Could somethng be going wrong that needs urgent attention???

He has also been pooing a *lot* with some very large stools oming out all at once. e.g. 3~4 cm in length trailing behind the fish. Is this a good/bad sign??

He has one of these stools current but it actually has a long white "streamer" coming off it. I thought this might be a work at first but its not... Could he be sick..?

Any help/advice appreciated...!!!

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/6/2004 0:14
Re: Worrying Behaviour #2
Hi systemattic. Your fantail is having problems because the tank is still cycling by the sounds of it, as I said before nitrite should be 0 and nitrate below 50 better under 25 but you have to get the nitrite stable first, I would suggest doing part water changes each day about 25%using the water conditioner and try starving the fish for a day as it sounds like it could be constipated and if you get some frozen peas defrost peel and chop them small then feed to the fantail they will act as a laxative, also what size tank do you have and filter etc, fantails are very delicate and bad water conditions will give them swimbladder trouble so to have the tank all cycled and mature is very important before you buy them.
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 17/6/2004 7:39
Re: Worrying Behaviour #3
Thanks Goldy.

The tank is a BiOrb so 30 Litres with the standard filter.

I've only been feeding once a day to try and reduce poo until the bateria build up, but I'm using "Hikari baby pellets" so i've been give him about 7~8 pellets a time.

He seems very hungry when I put the feed in as he really goes for the pellets..!

I'll start off the daily water changes right away...
thanks
Anonymous  
Re: Worrying Behaviour #4
also long white stools is a sign of constipation, do you feed live food weekly. fantails need it because of their bizarre body shape. That has nothing to do the air gasping, and goldy is probably right on that one. good luck
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 17/6/2004 11:20
Re: Worrying Behaviour #5
I haven't been feeding live food...(!)
I'm going to get down to the pet shop 2nite and see what they have available... Am I going to need a separate setup to keep live food alive??

Or is frozen/dried "live" food like shrimp etc...
an acceptable option....

I'm also browsing through Amazon looking for good starter book as I'm in a bit out of my depth at the moment.
Can anyone recommend a good book to get me up to speed on all the background stuff I need to know? { I know its a bit late in the day.... )

Steve
Anonymous  
Re: Worrying Behaviour #6
you dont need a sep set up, I buy one small potion of daphnia, or bloodworm, and feed it through out the day, sometimes lasts two days, it will die within a couple of day anyhow. My local shops seem to stockit on Fridays, and sell most of it over the weekend, you will have to ask when is the best day to get it. I do have frozen food too, but its not as good, or nutitious, but keep it as a standby and feed when live food is unavailable. I dont have any books im afried, you can find out all you need to know on the interent these days, although there are several good authors like Innes and several others, im not very up on that, sorry

Another good one for constipation is peas, blanched and shelled and the squashed between your fingers, once a week about one pea per fish. di