scott_888 scott_888
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/9/2008 0:50
Where do I go from this disaster zone? #1
Okay so you may remember I posted a video of my fish tank about a week ago. It had just reached near perfection! Then disaster struck. I introduced 6 neon tetra purchased from Maidenhead Aquatics in Wembley. Within 12 hours two neons had died. Wthin 1 day 3 neons and 1 platy had died. Day 2 - and 2 black neons to add to the list - day 4 the rest of the neon tetra introduced 4 black neons and 1 penguin tetra have now died. This was undoubtedly a disease introduced by the recent additions (one of them appeared ill in the bag). My tank is now a disaster zone plants upturned and theming displaced from corpse recovery and the tank is now like a ghost town.

All this could have been avoided if I had invested in a quarantine tank. I've learnt my lesson the hard way.

I have no idea what this illness was. Definatly something that was a very quick lethal killer. All I can do now is daily water changes and go to maidenhead aquatics and moan till my mouth is dry.
Silvertip Silvertip
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 3/9/2008 0:56
Re: Where do I go from this disaster zone? #2
The disease may still be in your tank water. I would PM LHG to see what advice he has. You might kill your next lot of fish if you tank isn't clear of whatever wiped out the last fish you had.
Hi Peeps. I still have plenty of Assassin Snails for sale to help control pest snails that creep in on your plants. PM me for details
scott_888 scott_888
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/9/2008 1:05
Re: Where do I go from this disaster zone? #3
oh gosh no no no !! I hadn't even considered restocking just yet

thanks for the advice :)
lilgoldy lilgoldy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Australia
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 3/9/2008 11:26
Re: Where do I go from this disaster zone? #4
I wonder if it was NTD? read this from the care sheet. But LHG will have way more info than me.

Unfortunately, neon tetras are occasionally afflicted by the so-called "Neon Tetra Disease" (NTD) or Pleistophora which is usually fatal to the fish, and currently without a cure. This sporozoan disease is caused by Pleistophora hyphessobryconis.Note that there is a so-called "false neon disease", which is bacterial, and shows very similar symptoms. It is impossible for the home aquarist to determine for certain the difference between NTD and false NTD on the basis of visible symptoms alone, without laboratory backup. This disease has also been confused with Columnaris (mouth rot, mouth fungus, 'flex').