Anonymous  
cycling my old tank #1
I've just started cycling my old tank (I've had to start again as I let the filter / tank go dry), so it's a way off yet, but is there anything special I need to do if I was planning brackish water? or should I cycle as normal and when it's ready then add the salt?
also do I need to test for anything regularly once it has been set up as a brackish tank? or is it just the usual 3 (Nitrite, nitrate and ammonia)

I was thinking of figure 8 puffers btw
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 31/7/2008 23:09
Re: cycling my old tank #2
Brackish water needs a certain level of salinity. Although brackish environments are by their nature changable you still need to know what the tanks current salinity is so you'll need a refractometer. Other than that brackish is the same as freshwater.

However, although figure eights tollerate brackish conditions they originate from freshwater streams so a brackish environment would not be ideal.
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... sheet.php?caresheetID=177
Anonymous  
Re: cycling my old tank #3
ooh how confusing; some articles mention these fish are brackish, others say freshwater (like the one you mentioned)

But I'm happier to go with the opinion of someone who has owned these type of fish and therefore knows from experience as it were, so thanks EC

still a long way off yet as said the tank only started recycling today, but can these fish be kept as more than one? (as this is another thing the articles cant seem to agree on), I was thinking of getting a couple, but this can increase / reduce depending on advice given.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 1/8/2008 7:32
Re: cycling my old tank #4
Actually I've not owned one, but I have done the research because I wanted to. There have been several posts about them over the time I've been on the forums too and I've stolen the answers from cleverer people

I believed F8's could be kept in a group.... but thinking about it virtually no other puffer can be and they can inflict severe damage quickly if they fight. So I'm not sure. I believe Sophie had a shoal of f8's...
Anonymous  
Re: cycling my old tank #5
well I've got another 4-6wks of cycling to go, so plenty of time to research further. Might send Sophie a PM as well

thanks EC
Anonymous  
Re: cycling my old tank #6
I've found another site to add to all the confusion: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/index.php, can anyone tell me if this is a good enough site to ask for advice on this topic? as I daren't seek bad advice
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 1/8/2008 13:05
Re: cycling my old tank #7
Yes, I used them to ask about the porky and the replies where knowledgable and ethical.

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11850
Anonymous  
Re: cycling my old tank #8
That's super thanks EC, it's added another 'hmmm' though, when you mentioned on there about not exposing the marine puffer to any air, do you know if this rule applies to all puffers or just the strict marines? (I mean as in when they are netted and transfered btw)
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 1/8/2008 13:20
Re: cycling my old tank #9
All puffers have the ability to puff (afaik!) so sucking in air would be dangerous. No nets.
Anonymous  
Re: cycling my old tank #10
cool - thank you, I think one of the first things i read was about them puffing and you dont want them to do that. I've got a lot of learning to do, and a lot of researching.
I've joined that forum, just waiting for my confirmation email at this stage

thanks so much EC you're a star