wreck_ferret wreck_ferret
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/6/2005 17:06
Bog Wood ! #1
Hi All

Got my new 60 litre Moby up and running, all safely transferred with a few new additions.

As some of you have replied to me if the past (thank you), you will know I have ventured back into 'real' plants. A few ferns,etc and it is all going OK. However .......

Have put a piece of bog wood in ! Looks nice but it is discolouring the water Now I followed all the instructions, left it soaking in a bucket for a few days, changed the water and to be honest it look like all the tanin was out. Placed it in the tank and lo & beyhold my water is getting a brown tinge 2 weeks later.

I was told carbon but by filter already has a carbon bag in it and to be honest I didn't think it would remove it anyhow.

Any suggestions ?? please, please don't say change all the water !

Thnx
vchawker vchawker
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 4/6/2005 17:18
Re: Bog Wood ! #2
I don't know if this is the official way of preparing bogwood, but this method works for me and doesn't discolour the water.

Boil a full kettle. Place the bogwood in a large dish or container. Pour the hot water over the bogwood until its completely submerged. Leave for 5 minutes. Rinse the bogwood in cold water. Scrub the bogwood with a clean washing up brush. Rinse again thoroughly in cold water.

I don't know if water in different areas of the country affects bogwood, but this method works for me in Yorkshire and my tank water is really clear.

Hope this helps .
"Oh, to be a fish!!!"
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/6/2005 17:43
Re: Bog Wood ! #3
It is so frutrating when you have soaked the wood for ages and then it still leaks tannins I use bio-chemzorb in my external filter which abzorbs the likes of the tannins but not sure if you can get similar for an internal filter
Kieranuk Kieranuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Durham
  • Posted on: 4/6/2005 17:44
Re: Bog Wood ! #4
What ever you do DONT change all the water . My method was to put the bogwood in a pan and fill the pan with water and put it on the hot ring. Let the water become very brown then change the water and keep on going this untill the water (after it has boiled with the bogwood in) stays quite clear. Then put the bog wood back in. If you can stand it just do your regular water changes and it should come away. If you cannot wait this long then they might be a product which clears the water. Also re-newing your carbon could help also.
Kieranuk Kieranuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Durham
  • Posted on: 4/6/2005 17:48
Re: Bog Wood ! #5
I have looked and 'Interpet Filter Aid' might and there is another interpet product called water polisher I think you could try that. Please don't try any of these on my account as I havent tried them before. The filter aid helped my water change from green to clear but I do not know about from brown to clear .
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 4/6/2005 17:50
Euryale Euryale
  • Brackish Moderator
  • Brackish Moderator
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 4/6/2005 18:35
Re: Bog Wood ! #7
The reason for boiling is because the heat speeds up the leaking of the tannins, you could take it out and boil it up. Carbon does help remove it from the water, it doesn't have a very long life at its full effectivness so maybe replacing it in your filter could help if you haven't already done so. Your fish will like it so unless you really can't stand the colour it will eventually go
Resized Image
timbo timbo
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 16/6/2005 9:32
Re: Bog Wood ! #8
My Juwel internal filter has a carbon pad - will this be good enough for removing the tannins? I am getting fed up of soaking the bog wood and want to get on setting the tank up! (My wife is adamant we arent having a tank full of 'tea' in the living room- so want to get it right!!!)
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 16/6/2005 9:49
timbo timbo
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 16/6/2005 10:56
Re: Bog Wood ! #10
thanks Goldy!
Noiced the blurb on the web site say the media is suitable for removing medicines etc.. does this mean that the carbon filters for eg in my Juwel filter need to be removed when dosing for some illness (for example whitespot)??

Timbo