(1) 2 »
Luetin Luetin
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/7/2008 13:23
What a Crab wants #1
Ok so I am getting ahead of myself but that is me all over, have definately been bitten but the aquarium bug, I think ive always loved visiting and seeing aquariums just never had the money and space to do it myself until now.

Anyways!

Yeah I do really want to keep some crabs, and after finding out that Its not the best idea to keep them in my freshwater tank, ( which was a shame because its nice and big for them )

I am going to have to have a seperate and smaller tank for them whenever I will get them.

Ok so basically what im getting at is, I would make the tank semi land semi water, and I understand about the need for the brackish water etc.

But in terms of heat and filtration and also filter maturity what are we looking at here? seeing as they can breath above the water, does the water need to be constantly filtered, and have a fully matured level of bacteria?

And what substrate would be best? a mix of larger gravel and sand?

some feedback on this and anything else related to starting up an environment for them would be excellent.

Thanks
Original Image
Check out my Illustration work: Luetinart
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 17/7/2008 13:57
Re: What a Crab wants #2
well its hard to answer much without knowing what crabs you would like to keep as menny have very different requirements
[img]http://i275.p
Luetin Luetin
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 17/7/2008 14:10
Re: What a Crab wants #3
I still think red claws would be really good, it would definately be nothing marine
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 17/7/2008 14:37
Re: What a Crab wants #4
have a read of these

http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/crab.html

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20Red%20Claw%20Crab.htm

http://wrongcrowd.com/staticpages/index.php?page=crab

the general consensus is a 2 foot tank for more then one crab males have larger claws then femails and should be kept one male to several femails if keeping more then one red claw crab as males are territorial a brackish set up using marine salt so a 1.004 gravity ph 8 72-82?F with low nitrate they are ammonia and nitrite intolerant so a good external filter with lots of biomedia is a good idea thease guys are reported to be messy

sand sub strait hiding places and a good third land mass most use large bog wood peace's petrooding the water
for this

and a very good fitting hood with no gaps what so ever these guys are serious escape artists and will clime heater cables and the like

feeding is well anything frozen fish bloodworm sinking pellets and algae wafers would be a good diet
[img]http://i275.p
Luetin Luetin
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 17/7/2008 22:10
Re: What a Crab wants #5
Yeah those are some good links I guess my total setup would prob cost me in the region of about ?200 so better start saving again.

and of course the other problem of where the hell I would site the tank

from what those articles said as well wether you keep any fish with them or not is dependant alot on the temprament of the crabs but it seems that some bottom feeders dont bother the crabs and vice versa, similarly some of the larger shrimp.

either way need to research it more if anyone has actually kept them though it would be good to hear about your experiences
Fiddler Fiddler
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 19/7/2008 21:24
Re: What a Crab wants #6
That is a Crab that i have never kept but info is widely available on the net for these if you have trouble getting some i can help you just give me a tinkle.

Have you thought about Fiddlers?.............
Here to talk Crabs
Luetin Luetin
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 22/7/2008 14:14
Re: What a Crab wants #7
ok my new crab tank, The question being what Species of crab am i going to keep ! I thought red claw but could do fiddlers, altho i prefer crab with equal claw size to be honest, I did look at the rainbow crabs but they seem to get very very large.

any thoughts on good species that dont grow very big?

Original Image
Original Image
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/7/2008 14:42
Re: What a Crab wants #8
how big is it?
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Luetin Luetin
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 22/7/2008 15:20
Re: What a Crab wants #9
OK I think im definately gonna stick with my plan of the red claws because they dont get bigger than 5cms usually they are very good looking and are less fussy than some other species

Apparantly they prefer Hard water Alkaline conditions,my water is fairly neutral when ive tested it generally testing at about 7.1-7.3 what would be the best way to make the water more alkaline, havent been able to find out exactly what it needs to be so working on that

oh an just saw corall's post, hmm its not that big but big enough.

its only 13" square and 16 deep. but it will only be half full of water anyway so that I can provide them with a sufficient land area, its going to be alot of fun constructing it
Original Image
Fiddler Fiddler
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 22/7/2008 17:06
Re: What a Crab wants #10
If you get Fiddlers you could get all female as they only have the small equal size claws its only the male that has the large and small, Rainbow crabs are the easier to keep they dont actually grow that big i think alot of people think they are bigger than they are with the videos on you tube its only because they are zoomed in, you could keep the Halloween but then with the Halloween and Rainbow they dont require alot of water more land area, th tank look a nice one. Im trying to get some photos and names of some rare species for you that the head office are taking delivery of at the moment to see if that takes your fancy.
Here to talk Crabs