Teessider_uk Teessider_uk
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 14/6/2004 16:14
filter #1
ive bought a fluval plus 3 filter for my tank and it has a control on top for airflow to come out, do i need this on or can i put the plug bit in top ?
when i come home from work my water has turned a slightly brown colour, i think its off the mopani wood ive put in it, will it clear itself or do i need to put a polyester filter pad or carbon filter pad in to clear it ?
ive not got any pads in filter yet just the foam
cheers
tony
marcshedden marcshedden
  • From Avon
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 14/6/2004 17:50
Re: filter #2
Hi Tony,

There's no need to have air going into the tank via the filter, so feel free to plug it up! It is just as effective to make sure the water surface is disturbed by the filter's output (i.e. small waves are visible at the water's surface) as this ensures enough oxygen gets dissolved into the water.
The staining from the Mopani wood will usually last for a couple of months (depending on your water-changing routine), so you can either live with it for this period or add carbon to the filter, which should remove it immediately (but make sure you change the carbon regularly as directed in the instructions - it has a nasty habit of releasing everything it's adsorbed back into the tank if left in for too long!)

Good luck,

Marc
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 14/6/2004 18:35
Re: filter #3
thanx marc, i'll plug it up now then.
talking about the carbon filters ive got, it says rinse them out well, does this mean under the tap? as i dont have any mature water to rinse them in
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/6/2004 19:31
Re: filter #4
You can rinse the filters under the tap to start with but once the tank is cycled never rinse them under the tap always in old tank water.
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 14/6/2004 19:33
Re: filter #5
think i'll put 1 in tonight to clear the tank abit.
another thing (sorry for all the questions)
ive bought some real plants for the tank and some of the are going yellow at the top, is this coz there dying ?
ive heard you need plant food ?
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/6/2004 19:42
Re: filter #6
As there is no fish to produce nitrate which is manure for plants then yes you will need plant food, didnt you get any small bottles of stuff free with your tank.
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 14/6/2004 20:32
Re: filter #7
no didnt get any freebies with tank, i bought it from a batleys trade warehouse as all individual bits not a set up.
think i'll try and get some plant food tomorrow if i get away from work.