(1) 2 3 4 »
diydemon diydemon
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/6/2004 10:52
9 gallon tank filter #1
I have 2 goldfish in a 9 gallon tank. The tank has been set up for just over 2 months and pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are now as they should be. The water always has a slight green tinge to it though, which doesn't seem to change even after the 25% water change I do each week. They had a spring clean last weekend - I used the old fish water but cleaned out a load of brown gunk from the bottom of the tank and rinsed the gravel. This hasn't made any difference, so maybe the green tinge is normal? As the water levels are fine I'm not worried, but I would like to keep them in optimum conditions and the green does look unsightly. Has anyone any suggestions on the best filter to try as I'd like to change from the undergravel one, which I've heard isn't ideal for messy goldfish? Goldy, you mentioned the fluvial ones are better - are these internal or external, and which is best? I will be upgrading the tank to a larger one in about a year as they've grown since I introduced them and I know a 9 gallon is not ideal for 2 goldfish. I'm getting hubby to take a picture of them today, so watch this space for the first public shots of William and Feargus!

Many thanks!!
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/6/2004 12:00
Re: 9 gallon tank filter #2
Hi diydemon For now you could get the fluval 2+ which is an internal and put it in your tank as an additinal filter or on its own as I think the 3+ will be too big for the tank you have, I hear the internal Rena are very good too I have the Rena xp3 external and it it fantastic at keeping my large tank clean and clear with large messy goldfish. The green water could be down to high phosphate in the tap water, I had to get a phospate remover in my tank as it caused alge, it looks like the large tea bag and goes inside the filter, I will see if you can get small ones for the fluval.
Anonymous  
Re: 9 gallon tank filter #3
I have a 10 gal tank with a fluval one +, the 25 gal tank has the fluval 2+ which will be a bit big for the 9 gal tank.
yep says on the box up to 45 lts which is just short of 10 gal, you can pick em up quite cheap on ebay or on fish forums such as this.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 13/6/2004 13:02
Re: 9 gallon tank filter #4
I have the fluval 2+ in my 5.5 gallon hospital tank Di and its fine, plus diydemon is getting a larger tank so can use the filter in that when she gets it, the fluval 1+ is only for tanks 30cm-45.1cm and I feel too small for 2 goldfish you should know that and you do have tropical now so are not as dirty.
diydemon diydemon
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 13/6/2004 15:13
Re: 9 gallon tank filter #5
Thanks for that you two. I shall do some surfing for a Fluval 2+ then I can use this when I upgrade. I have seen some solution that interpret do called something like 'tank clear' (well named!), so I'll have a look out for something that can reduce phosphorus levels. I can't believe how much they've grown in 2 months! William was almost 2 dimentional when we got him and was so tiny. He's filled out nicely. If they carry on growing at this rate we'll have to move house to fit them in :) They'll be big enough to have with chips soon

lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 13/6/2004 15:45
Re: 9 gallon tank filter #6
When i first got my new Rena Tank, which is about 7 gallons, about 90% of my old tank water was transferred. That was mirky and slightly green, but after a couple of 25% water changes it is now very clear-you can see yourself in the mirror backing
The tank only has the smallest Rena Filstar iv1 filter, but i really recommend it, it's absolutley silent and seems to do the job for my 3 fish.
My only problem with it is i have to give the sponge a clean more often than the instructions recommend, which is once every month. I clean it in the old tank water every 2 weeks and all seems well ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 25
I also got a plant, which was recommended for counteracting algae, i think that keeps the water clearer to
Resized Image
diydemon diydemon
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 13/6/2004 15:57
Re: 9 gallon tank filter #7
Thanks for all your advice. Have decided to go with the Fluval 2+ (Aquatics online seems to have the best price). Not sure about introducing live plants though - I usually manage to kill plants, so best not have the fishes relying on me to keep plants alive too!) Should I order some spare filters at the same time? I think the advert said it had room for 2 filters so you could interchange, but I don't know if it comes with two already. Does it come with an attachment to fit it on the tank? I know it seems like a daft question, but there seem to be a lot of 'accessories' advertised on the same page!

Anonymous  
Re: 9 gallon tank filter #8
yes, it has a three suckened slot thing, you stick it in place with the sucktion cups and they the filter just slides in, you can then adjust it, by slideing it gently into the right position. Its the one i have.
Filter sponges, nah, need replaceing every year or so, maybe.
diydemon diydemon
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 13/6/2004 20:17
Re: 9 gallon tank filter #9
Thanks - I'll go ahead and order. Was in the process of taking some pictures of the fish when the battery on the camera died, so will post pics when it's charged. Thanks everyone as always for your help. Hopefully I'll get the hang of this fish keeping malarky eventually!!

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 13/6/2004 20:58
Re: 9 gallon tank filter #10
Quote:
diydemon wrote
Was in the process of taking some pictures of the fish when the battery on the camera died,

Doesn't that always flippin happen