hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/7/2008 14:41
Aethiomastacembelus elipsifer #1
Med sensitive or not?

on my tanganyikan wishlist but wanted to double check this first!

Stunning little eel so wasnt sure if it fell in to the syno categry of not like meds just in case
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 5/7/2008 3:20
Re: Aethiomastacembelus elipsifer #2
Most spiny eels are bit med sensitive and theres no reason to assume this one is an exception, so my answer would be yes, its probably is. I suppose you could go UV.

They can also eat whole prawns no problem, so youd have to watch the size of the fish going in with them if you did choose to have them, and despite coming from tanganyika they probably loathe aggressive cichlids, youd be looking for cagemates too big to eat and not big enough to scare it, which would confine your choice of fish. All the food they like tends to give the other primarily algae loving fish bloat over the long term, so perhaps not the most ideal fish for a smaller rift aquarium. I suppose if it trusts you enough to tong or tube feed that would make it a bit easier, but spreading bloodworm about wouldnt be the done thing.They need lots of cover and caves too.

Personally I like them, and I suppose theyre do-able if you want to go to the extra effort, but they will make life a bit trickier.
Resized Image
hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/7/2008 21:54
Re: Aethiomastacembelus elipsifer #3
hmmm well i was thinking ahead to whats looking like being the 300 litre now. In terms of what im gonna be keeping all the fish im looking at are meaty eaters so not gonna be a problem there.

As far as size i spose the smallest fish would be my female brevis but shes defo a bit bigger than a prawn so that mite be ok. As far as biggest im looking at is a sexcifaciatas or calvus. The lelupi im considering may be a bit agressive for it perhaps?? As far as cover the tank is gonna be packed with rocky bolders and cobbles similar to whats in the river and also gonna build a slate structure to and a few african ferns to break things up so hopefully cover for all would be fine.

Not sure how uv works as ive only worked with my little 2 foot tank so far so this next tank is gonna be a step up a level definatley!

I know there is a slightly smaller eel of the same family that might work too. Liked the idea of a slightly oddball type in the community. (tangy gobie or killie possibl;e alternative)

Not sure if ya got the list of possible fish im thinking of lhg but nearer the time (and when ya not got so much on) we can have a closer look.

OOoooohh next step up the fishy ladder will be scary!!!

OOOh also one poss prob with an eel would be that my hospital tank would be the old 2footer. Could i get away with shifting the eels if i did have to med the tank and didnt go uv? Might be a bit stressful and also 2ft may be too small i think for hospital?