dougiec001 dougiec001
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/7/2008 15:13
texas cichlids not feeding now!! #1
Many thanks to long hired git you have been most helpful but now they are being really picky on what they eat and only go for mealworms and earthworms!! Arrrgggghhhh....... The frustration......Anyone else kept these lovely cichlids??
Life is better with a fish tank in it.... And if things go wrong theres always
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 1/7/2008 15:25
Re: texas cichlids not feeding now!! #2
lol, one of the features of bigger cichlids- theyre training you!

Just starve em back a few days, other foods will become acceptable again. They love to do the "i'm only accepting earthworms and wriggly live things" trick on the keeper.

Battle of wills. You will win. Texas cichlids wont be stupid enough to starve. Oscars and geos like to try it on too. Dont do livefoods on regular days either, dont forget fish have excellent internal body clocks, if they know live food is comin on "thursday" they wait till thursday. If you never let em know what theyre getting or when , they find hunger strikes less feasable.
Resized Image
dougiec001 dougiec001
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 1/7/2008 15:33
Re: texas cichlids not feeding now!! #3
Thanks man thats a great help...Your a credit to this site.Some people might not like this but i put 2 guppies in for live food couple of days ago and one was killed and spat out for me to remove and the other one is swimming quite happily around with the Texas's!! Crazy aint it...The ones that went in with my adult green terror didnt fair so well!! ha ha.......Another thing,im thinking about getting a Jewel RIO 400litre tank and was thinking about putting my Texas's in their with my male green terror??Good idea or bad?? Probably bad but ive had the texas's "team up" and seen off fish much bigger than themselves in the past.... Thanks again my long haired friend
Doug
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 1/7/2008 16:12
Re: texas cichlids not feeding now!! #4
Texas may be tough , but GT's can have a positively evil streak. I even know a guy who had a blue acara pair manage to kill a texas, and since a GT is really just a bloody big blue acara with a different name, temporamentally very similar, and their fighting ability seems directly proportionate, that puts the risk you might be taking into perspective. The texas might not be actively breeding, but thats no guarantee a pair wont want something like GT, a very significant risk to fry, gone from an aquarium even that large.

If your gonna put a GT in with texas you might need to watch it for a long time with a net within easy reach, or get the aquarium fitted with a seperator you can drop in when one of them has a funny mood. A texas might start a fight, but a big GT will probably finish it, unless the texas pair work together, in which case the GT will be at risk.

Id stop the guppies unless your breeding them yourself, not on a humane issue especially, since these sort of fish do dispatch them quickly, and it would count as a natural and correctly proportionaed prey iten, but if your buying in guppies sooner or later you will run into issues like trichodina, aeromonas, and many protozoan ailments, and its not worth the lifemof a big long-lived fish to do that. On humane issues, any uneaten fish should really be removed asap, not left in the aquarium with the predator, people have run into legal problems in the past doing that kind of thing.

Im not preaching, its all info for your protection as well as the life quality of the fish. Besides, youll serve the fishs dietary needs beter by keeping the staple diet a quality cichlid formula, and any rounding out for variety can be done entirely with frozen foods, including fish bits and shellfish.

I dont use live foods with fish personally, and its not that im a big wooss, its just that fish sourcing is so bad, and shop quarantine so awful and basically non-existant, and know that the asian breeder culture chain is so big in the UK with low quality diseased stock everywhere I just dont consider it worth the risk. Some imported fish are so heavily medicated they could actually represent accumulative medicinal toxicity risks to the predator- a symptom of which can actually be infertility, and that might not be unconnected to the problems youve been having.

I used to keep a lot of reptiles, granted they ate live bugs, not mammals, literally by the thousand, and when they did eat mammals they got frozen and thawed. Point being live feeds arent necessary for your species, they dont need them, and if it lessens disease risks and rounds out nutrient balance to avoid them, then you might as well avoid them, or stick to invertebrates that have no protection under the law. Saves loads of trouble. Basically anything with a spine can be subject to legal regulations concerning humane treatment, and leaving a prey item alive with a predator isnt generally considered humane, people have been prosecuted for it in the past, though granted thats usually with rodents, but equally they could do you for doing it with a fish.

Generally guidelines run along the lines of- remove anything that doesnt get eaten in an hour, and then it has to be returned to a decent humane aquarium conditions out of L.O.S of the predator, and cant be offerred again for 24 hours. Just FYI.
Resized Image
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 1/7/2008 16:25
Re: texas cichlids not feeding now!! #5
I suppose I ought to mention that if youve just primed your cichlids to breed, its also quite possibly the worst possible time to try an introduction with another fish. Territoriality level will be up, cichlids kill over potential nestsite defence, actually having eggs or fry there may not be necessary.
Resized Image
dougiec001 dougiec001
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 2/7/2008 3:00
Re: texas cichlids not feeding now!! #6
Once again i thank you for your honest advice....Guppies have come from a friend but you are definitaly correct.I wont risk the life of my cichlids with potentially lethal feeders!! Only got to look at them (and price.lol) to see which species is worth looking after...May sound nasty to some people but thats the way it is.Maybe im being stupid but if ive offended anyone on this post im sorry,as an update my Texas's are now having a little munch and the last guppie is now having pellets crushed for him!! ha ha....I think my cichlids think its their fry....SO so funny.. Thanks again
Doug
dougiec001 dougiec001
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 2/7/2008 3:04
Re: texas cichlids not feeding now!! #7
Also,my GT is the most moody,aggressive fish ive ever owned so may just leave him were he is!!! Hes in my bedroom at the moment and he owns the whole of it!!!!lol As soon as he sees anyone near he flares his gills and displays.If you go near the tank he will try and bite you through the glass.... Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!!!