(1) 2 »
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 27/6/2008 20:45
Update on Ramses #1
Think it's about time I updated you all on Ramses' progress (thanks to Keely for reminding me ).

First of all, Ramses is to remain single - at least for the time being. Not out of choice - I genuinely was looking for a female for him, but a few months ago, I happened to raise a concern I had about his gender. He may not have the pink area of a female, but he doesn't have the elongated dorsal ray of a male, either, and when he shows his black spot (very rarely) he has irredecent blue flecks in it.

I asked LHG about this, and his response is that Ramses could well be male, but his poor early start in life, and OTT medication have resulted in a sexually underdeveloped male Ram (no doubt LH himself will correct me if I'm wrong on any of that).

Not only that, but also, Ramses has been starving himself for God knows how long. 10 days ago, I told LH that I could see the Ram's spine. LH said the fish was either underfed (which, I have to admit, I did take personally, until he explained that it was a generic term based on Ramses's nutritional intake and didn't insinuate that I was neglecting my fish) or that he was going transluscent - which should be impossible.

As a direct result of that, Ramses' diet has changed radically and he's currently being fed twice a day instead of once a day like the other fish. The jellied foods he has been getting are now off the menu altogether. He's now on frozen;

Mysis shrimp,
Mussels,
Artemia
Bloodworm
Mosquito larvae
His pellets

And something else I can't remember atm (tropical fish frozen quartet - I forget what the 4th thing in the quartet was).

The good news is, he's now eating brilliantly, readily taking any food that he's given, and he's starting to put weight on. I reckon in another week or so, he'll be back down to once-a-day feeding

He's also got some new plants in the tank that have just been added today and soemtime in the next month, he'll be joined by 6 Glowlight tetras and 2 Pristellas that unfortunately can't go in with their own shoal in the 44gal because of the myco outbreak.

Sorry for the long post . . .
T.L
Resized Image
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 27/6/2008 21:07
Re: Update on Ramses #2
Delighted to hear his news, particularly with the upturn on the feeding front. I just wonder what trick he's going to pull next Any new pics?
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 27/6/2008 21:19
Re: Update on Ramses #3
I'll see if I can get some new pics tomorrow, Cathie
T.L
Resized Image
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 28/6/2008 5:09
Re: Update on Ramses #4
I know you updated me but it is still nice to hear of his continuing improvement.I think frozen tends to go down the hatch with these species rather better than jellied foods. The jellied foods seems to lose out on palatability, the frozen foods as long as not stored badly must retain scent and flavour better.

Picked up some young nannacaras this week, and they too were a little underweight and are starting to explore a range of foods. Both have dug holes in the gravel under bogwood, and in 4 days ive seen them for all of 2 minutes.

For an acara relative it feels more like owning a goby.I occassionally get a glimpse of one rushing out to grab food, or chucking a mouthful of gravel out of a hole.

Just a species thats a slightly different alternative to an apisto or ram, and much easier to cater for on the water quality front.
Resized Image
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 28/6/2008 7:53
Re: Update on Ramses #5
Good work Linz, some pics would be lovely!!!
Resized Image
[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-a
dwss59 dwss59
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/6/2008 8:34
Re: Update on Ramses #6
thats great news!!!
Central Americans; once they pop they don't stop!
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 28/6/2008 9:44
Re: Update on Ramses #7
OK . . . Pics!!!

Resized Image

Resized Image

This one was taken on Anti-shake mode . . . for some reason, it took the liberty of changing the colour scheme a bit . . . makes him look like a Gold Ram, doesn't it?

Resized Image
T.L
Resized Image
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 28/6/2008 15:40
Re: Update on Ramses #8
His shape is changing, something in the diet has reversed whatever nutritional or hormonal problem was keeping him a bit underdeveloped, probably the shellfish proteins, and the hormones of most chronomid midge larvae survive in frozen better than jellied. It usually takes a combo of not only tanksize but diet to get those dwarfed or metabolically damaged specimens rolling again.

Ramses personality will probably change soon..HEHE. Prepare for the ownership experience to change. Shy mild mannered rams? What are those ? lol.
Resized Image
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 28/6/2008 15:57
Re: Update on Ramses #9
O . . . K . . . and I've just put 5 glowlight tets in there with him
T.L
Resized Image
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 28/6/2008 16:03
Re: Update on Ramses #10
I assume when he "becomes" they will have the sense to stay out of the way.
Resized Image