Animal Welfare Vote
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/6/2004 14:34
Temporary pond #1
Hi all as some of you may already know I want a pond but as we may be moving house in the next year or so thought I should wait, Now patence is not my good point and I have the chance of a molded pond (Lotus wood pecker) that my brother inlaw had before he made his pond larger for koi plus a filter and waterfall to go with it, now I am very tempted to let him build me a temporary one with it for my goldfish my only worry is that it is only 19 inches deep and I would hate to lose my fish in the winter or to the dredded heron, what do you think sean, people do you think we would be ok to go a head or wait
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/6/2004 8:18
Re: Temporary pond #2
I would go ahead for the following reason, it gives you an idea about
1) plant and shelf depths
2) planting media
3) shape
4) any unique ideas you thought of applying to the proper pond etc etc.

I have changed several things in my fishpond since it was built, I still have more to do and believe me they would all have been easier if I had thought of the before it was stocked and planted

This pond could also work as a plant nursery for the pond at the new house. I would guess most people learn more from their first proper pond than from any other pond. If I had had a sizable first fishpond I would have made the shelves in the fish pond different, with either a shallower top shelf or an additional shallower shelf. I might also have included a bottom drain, no amount of someone else telling you really prepares you for the amount of crap that accumulates in a pond
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/6/2004 11:03
Re: Temporary pond #3
Thanks sean Not going with the molded one now decided to go for a liner instead