Hi there, I chose the above combination based on capacity of ecomax and enegy consumption of maxflo. Checked the Ecomax spec which said max head should not exceed 6m (maxflo is 3.5).
But it appears to be pushing the filter foams up and water is rushing up between the foam and container sides and thus not being filtered. So I check the spec and thistime see the max flow rate as being 4500.
Have I done a massive feck up. Bearing in mind pond is about 9000l and equipment has only been on for 24hrs and pond is very very green and so I have already cleaned the foam. should I replace the ecomax or the maxflo of should they be ok together? What are the problems with running too powerful a pump with a filter?
Well, its not over flowing in the sense that the water is coming in faster than it can leave, but as I mentioned on the op when the filter foams are dirty (bear in mind the pond is very green so I have cleaned them every day also I have no idea what 'dirty' is) the water gets pushed up the sides of the foam not through it.
The pond is only 70cm at its deepest so addin gon another 10-20 cm for the filter housing we have about 1m max.
Sorry forgot so say that I spoke to someone in a shop and they said it would be too fast for the UV light to work. Is this so.
It has occured to me than it might just be that the filters might be getting clogged with dirt so quickly as the pond is so green that the water just can't flow and THAT is why the water is forcing up the sides of the foam.
AHHH. I'm in a dilema. DO I cut my losses and get the Titan 5500 recomended even thought its less efficient or is my systme ok?
Hello folks, I have been reading this thread with interest as I too have just bought the 'Ecomax 9000' to replace my 15 yr old 'BIOZORB 2000' which due to its age was swelling in the middle but has worked fine for all that time.
It seems that I am having the same or similar problems as another on here. To start my pond is 900 gallons (8'6"x6'x 33") and I have been running an 'Olympus 10,000' pump. This now runs the new Filter, a waterfall with the 2 outlets flowing into it from the filter over the top together with a feed into the waterfall from behind and another outlet to a large 'Bell' dome feature in the centre of the pond.
I have put a Restricter valve in the main feeed to the filter so as not to push too much through. The rest of any flow goes either through the rear duct of the top of the waterfall or out through the Bell Dome feature.
The pond was crystal clear when I swapped over from the old filter to the new one last week, so apart from having to allow the build up of the natural enzymes everything 'should' have gone fine ......It didn't
The pond went like a darkish green pea-soup for the first time since I first had a pond and it just will not clear. I am having to rinse out the clogged filters 4 times a day; as within no time at all the top of the filter box just pushes up out of the box about 2 inches and obviously everything starts by-passing the filter mechanism and gunges up the pond even further.
I have turned the Restricter valve down to very low almost to a couple of really gentle flows to no avail, the same thing happens.
I am at my wits end and I am considering putting the pot-bellied old filter with its 9W U\V back on so I can restore my ponds condition before I loose any of my fish.
I am going to ring Hoselock tomorrow as I feel that the Exomax 9000 is not fit for its purpose especially as the Ecomax is less than half the size of the old Bioflow - it simply cannot cope.
Any advice, suggestions will be most welcome and my grateful thanks for reading this my first post. Just sorry my first post is so long.
hi this is all a bit deja vu for me. I had a similar problem with the ecopower + 50000(check the thread on filter boxes in pond /koi). The filter box lid was lifting up and and water was getting up through the sides of the foam, another member had it too!!.I contacted Hozelock who said that a batch of bottom filter boxes had been left out in the sun during the recent heatwave and may have become warped. They said the pump i had was cool as i suppose it matched the recommended triton 3000. The new bottom filter box arrived and was installed but it happened again, but not when i put two bricks on the top lol!!Eventually i changed it for another filter box which sprinkled water on to the top of the foam rather than the one that forced water up from the bottom. So now its sorted and i have two boxes running no probs. It was in all a interesting learning curve good luck finn ps better to ring hozelock and nor email them as they are not replying to emails straight away due to a overwhelming amount of customer queries at this time of year.