(1) 2 »
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 31/5/2008 14:05
BIG fly problem #1
You know those little flys that fly around on the surface of the water all day laying their eggs?

Right, well basically is there any way to get rid of them? because we have a really big problem. Now its summer, and theres loads of them - they are getting into the house and flying around the kitchen floor, and i'm not just talking 1, or 2, there was about 20 of them the other day :|

Plus, my dads really worried that when I extend the pond and bring it closer to the house that they will become an even bigger problem...

So what can I do ?

Thanks.
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 31/5/2008 14:33
Re: BIG fly problem #2
I think you may be referring to midges who naturally congregate near a water source, the only thing I can think of is to hang sticky fly paper near there entry point into the house: i.e. kitchen window if that?s how they are getting in, but ultimately you cant stop nature.
natterjack natterjack
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 31/5/2008 14:36
Re: BIG fly problem #3
not sure if this will help but would flies lay eggs on uneven water? if not, would a little fountain or bubbly feature help the break the surface? not sure how costly this would be!

is the pond shaded? it could be the pond is in direct light and the eggs thrive on heat from the sun...

I could be wrong with these theories!

Natterjack

Resized Image
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 31/5/2008 15:23
Re: BIG fly problem #4
I think the water does have to be fairly still, but at the minute I have a foam jet and there still laying them near to the ripples from that :|

The ponds in the shade of the house by about 12 o clock, so I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem.

Is there any electronic devices that will deter the flies? I've seen them for mice and things, not sure about flies though!
natterjack natterjack
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 31/5/2008 17:11
Re: BIG fly problem #5
this method may not be 100% effective but how about adding a bird table or bird feeder? anything to encourage garden birds to fly around the pond/garden cutting down the flies population?

If I was really desperate.... i would get the extension lead and hoover outside (on a regular basis). Using the hoover's nozzle with long handle, i would suck the flies to their death until no more can breed! MWAH HA HA!

Natterjack

Resized Image
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 31/5/2008 17:18
Re: BIG fly problem #6
We have loads of birdfeeders, baths etc & we back onto some woodland - so that shouldn't be a problem.

Any more suggestions?
lollypop lollypop
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 31/5/2008 19:23
Re: BIG fly problem #7
have to say. when we used to water the garden center (old job) we had loads of midges and hover fly's around all the time the water was on. so not sure if lots of water movement will help.

just think of all the free food the fish will have with the eggs and lava

the only other thing that i could think of to help in the house. would be,
1. bead net on doors.
2. little sunflower sticker on kitchen window. kills flys.

lolly
today i am lime flavor.
Wurzel Wurzel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/6/2008 13:49
Re: BIG fly problem #8
If your pond is understocked at the moment get some Gold Rudd. These little fellas devour small flies and larvae constantly. I have 12 and they ignore regular pond food in favour of eating the midges! I still get some midges (you may also know them as strom flies) but no where near as many as i used to. Its fun watching the rudd hunt them some times breaching the water just to catch a tiny fly!
Another method you could use is to encourage dragonflies and damsel flies. The latter would probably do more but both are predatory insects that will make an inpact of the population of midges by your pond.
Also things may start to calm down as bats become more active as they will take small flies on the wing aswell.
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 2/6/2008 15:44
Re: BIG fly problem #9
I'll definately get some Golden Rudd then when I get the new pond finished, and theres absolutely loads of bats out here on a night flying over the garden so that should help.

Cheers for the advice. :)
flappinganimal flappinganimal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Caresheets
  • Posted on: 2/6/2008 16:25
Re: BIG fly problem #10
Cant you get those UV bug zappers for the kitchen? Im sure they exist, or did i dream them?
Im off for a 2 litre bottle of lucozade at my local Esso.