danoli danoli
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/5/2005 0:44
Reduce Nitrite - Which method is best? #1
My Nitrite level is way up. I have new tank syndrome, the tank is a week old and has had fish in from day 1. I am getting confused though, I am reading different advice on different sites.

Here tends to advise regular water changes where as I have read elsewhere to stop changing water and stop feeding during the cycle.

What should I do, it seems to go from one extreme to another. A happy medium would be slap bang in the middle but this seems to be what to do when the tank is cycled
Tamianth Tamianth
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 22/5/2005 6:04
Re: Reduce Nitrite - Which method is best? #2
Hi Danoli,

Nitrite is the bummer part of the cycle in, water changes of course are a must. However, salting the tank to 0.1% or 0.15% dureing this phase will be a help also. Nitrite binds the blood, and the salt helps offset this! Yes, you can cut back on the food or even cut it out completely for a few day's to help reduce the nitrite.

1 tsp. per gl = approx 0.1% minus some for the rock and any decorations etc., and any salt will do so long as it has no binders or ysp. I recomend a salt test kit also as this does help to actually see where the salt stands.

Live plants should be removed as they will not withstand the salt.

Indeed, straddling the middle of what you have read so far in places, but with a slight difference! :)

Hope this helps you! :)
We never stop learning!
captk captk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Australia
  • Posted on: 22/5/2005 6:27
Re: Reduce Nitrite - Which method is best? #3
Hi Danoli,

Tamianth is right. Regular (every 3-4 days) partial water change (20-30%) is necessary to take the edge off the worst of the spikes but to use water change alone to control ammonia and nitrIte is a pain. Reduce feeding reduces ammonia output which in turns reduce nitrIte level. Salting as Tamianth described will protect the fish from brown blood disease which is another name for nitrIte poisoning. After salting, you can just ride it out.

There is no one true way. A happy compromise is the best. Whatever you are comfortable with and which is safe for the fish is a good way.

Tamianth, nitrIte displaces the iron in the red blood cell which stops it from carrying oxygen. Not bind it. And the name of the anti-caking agent is yellow prussiate of soda or YPS not YSP. 4am start is getting to ya.
I know enough to know that I don't know enough
Tamianth Tamianth
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 22/5/2005 17:37
Re: Reduce Nitrite - Which method is best? #4
You got that right Captk! We'll just blame nitrite for brain freeze,lol! Must have caffeine to counter effect it..... two pots should do it.....

We never stop learning!
danoli danoli
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 22/5/2005 22:07
Re: Reduce Nitrite - Which method is best? #5
I have been doing about 10% per day with the relevant treatment. The fish seem to be perking up. Still left my carbon filter in even though treating for white spot which does seem to be getting better. I didn't want to take the filter out because I can't see how it would all hold together with a sponge missing and wasn't sure if this would affect the cycling of the tank so left it in
captk captk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Australia
  • Posted on: 23/5/2005 1:22
Re: Reduce Nitrite - Which method is best? #6
How are you treating the white spots, Danoli?

If you are just using salt then leaving the filter in is okay. If you are using commercial products then you do need to remove the carbon (not the spronge) or you are just filtering out all the meds which is rather defeating the purpose.
I know enough to know that I don't know enough
danoli danoli
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 27/5/2005 23:24
Re: Reduce Nitrite - Which method is best? #7
I am using salt at 0.1% and also King British tonic every 2 days. I hove not removed the carbon filter but hte White spot has pretty much gone. Going away for a week so no water changes for 7 days, did a 30%/40% change today with all the relevan meds. Nitrite is coming down at a nice rate, still a pale pink but much better than last week

On a side note, my stupid plec keeps jumping into the filter so no doubt I will have to fish him out again next week, hope he survives in there for a week. Ant tips to stop him getting in, except lowering the water level as I tried this and the level was slightly below the hood line which looks naff and he still got in!!. The tank is a Juwel 24x12x12
vchawker vchawker
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 28/5/2005 16:55
Re: Reduce Nitrite - Which method is best? #8
Is there any way you could tie a pair of tights over the filter?
I know this may sound daft, but I'm sure a read a thread on this site recently, that suggested this very thing??
"Oh, to be a fish!!!"
vchawker vchawker
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 28/5/2005 17:00
Re: Reduce Nitrite - Which method is best? #9
Ah, just found it!
--------------------------------
halfpastdead Posted on: 6/5/2005 22:50
Home away from home

Groups:
Registered Users
Re: Neon Tetras - cannibal problem?
i have posted this a few times but if you have small fish that can get sucked up try putting a stocking or a tight over the hole thing then they cant get in but the muck can, hope this helps in the future.

----------------
baby said fish I was so proud I got him a fish what a dum idea
------------------------------------------------

This is the link to the whole thread:
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... php?topic_id=1520&forum=3

Hope this helps!
"Oh, to be a fish!!!"
danoli danoli
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 30/5/2005 8:29
Re: Reduce Nitrite - Which method is best? #10
I was thinking along those lines but thougt the plec may jump out and on top of the tights rather than into the filter. if this happened he may get stuck out of the water?