longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 17/5/2008 21:13
New apisto. #1
Spotted this little fella fending off 6 highly annoyed kribiensis in a local shop, in water that I know is ph 8 and usually has a nitrite level detactable. No mate there, presumably dead, but he was only ?2. Seems to have taken a 2 point ph drop with grace thankfully. Bit of finrot on front pectoral, but otherwise in much better nick than it should really be. Been noshing out only hikari cichlid pellets , obviously the first non-flake food its seen for months.

Resized Image

I though apistos were supposed to be shy lol, this one is parked up front, claimed a territory in about 4 minutes and has threatened me twice lol.

..also the glass cats took a pose today, and seeing ive never taken a remotely decent pic of them before, I was quite suprised by this one.

Resized Image
Resized Image
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 17/5/2008 21:58
Re: New apisto. #2
Apart from the hint of blue, it looks a little like my Borelli female Any idea what it is yet?

Beautiful fish . . . all 3 of em
T.L
Resized Image
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 17/5/2008 22:44
Re: New apisto. #3
Might be a young A.eunotus, but im not entirely convinced, it seems to be wanting a superterritory almost immediately, its not the retiring type, so possibly also an A.cruzi. Gotta be a male, never seen a female this strident.
Resized Image
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 17/5/2008 23:34
Re: New apisto. #4
Beautiful! Your in full fish rescue mode lately LHG??? lol
Resized Image
[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-a
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 17/5/2008 23:47
Re: New apisto. #5
Lol, seem to be. Might not be over yet, spotted the other oxydoras at the shop after I thought it had either died or already been bought. Had a word with the red-headed lad and told him in the most diplomatic way possible (bloody feed it" To which the reply was "yeah we put lots of food in, but the others get it first "

Bloody move it then di**head, Maaan, people are thicker than lumpy custard. Obviously gonna have to buy the damn thing and rescue it that way, I assume calling the RSPCA will be about as much use as poking myself in the eye as usual.

Bloody p&h. Something is bloody wrong with the world when you have to buy something to rescue it. The whole bloody idea is not to encourage the trade to rescue something, i'd rather the money went almost anywhere else. What choice do I get, cant let a catfish like that die.

I just wish somebody cared. Just bloody somebody.
Resized Image
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 17/5/2008 23:53
Re: New apisto. #6
Was almost sick in my lfs the other day, I'm not squeemish by any means but when you see a fish (unrecognisable but some kind of large cichlid) with no fins left, scales and flesh peeling away still alive and breathing upside down on the waters surface I couldn't help but gip...

Had to say I "reccomended" (putting it politely) to the owner some clove oil and vodka... poor thing...

We care! We just don't have much power to make the really big changes, too many jumped up numpties out there...
Resized Image
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 18/5/2008 0:03
Re: New apisto. #7
Dont I know it, and if you complain about something its as if their first reaction is to make the fish pay out of bloody-mindedness, a real touch of "mess with us and we'll just make it worse".

Makes me want to turn to the solution that fits my sensibilities best. A baseball bat with nails in it. Smarmy little ginger twit.He should know better than do bloody lie to me, im a better fishkeeper and an altogether tougher and better man than he will ever be. They want to hold authority and be regarded as guru's and they cant even properly feed a fish or have sense enough to move it where it can compete for food. PATHETIC.

People always gotta take the piss to the point you just wanna maim them. Oh but for the breakdown of society eh?

Cant bloody wait.
Resized Image
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 18/5/2008 0:07
Re: New apisto. #8
Amen to that!
Resized Image
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 18/5/2008 7:24
Re: New apisto. #9
Quote:

longhairedgit wrote:
Lol, seem to be. Might not be over yet, spotted the other oxydoras at the shop after I thought it had either died or already been bought. Had a word with the red-headed lad and told him in the most diplomatic way possible (bloody feed it" To which the reply was "yeah we put lots of food in, but the others get it first "

Even if they couldn't move the fish (for whatever reason), what's so difficult about dropping food in front of the oxy while the other fish are too busy eating to notice?! That's what I do with the Borelli. It's not exactly rocket science. Obviously the fish have more sense than he does (no surprise there then )

I'd love to see them try that excuse with a starving dog or cat. The RSPCA would come down on them like a ton of bricks if they so much as tried. But of course "It's only a fish, innit" B*****ds.
T.L
Resized Image