cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 17/5/2008 18:21
Cyprichromis leptosoma #1
Anyone kept these? I was wondering about getting some to go in the bigger tank I'll be moving the shelldwellers to (180L if my ebay bidding goes to plan) but not sure if it will be big enough, think they might need to be in a group of 10-12?

Maybe I should swap the goldfish around to give them the 4 foot tank ...
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
dwss59 dwss59
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/5/2008 19:54
Re: Cyprichromis leptosoma #2
Not kept them personally but my friend has two of the varieties, yellow and purple.
I would recommend giving them the 4ft tank if you can as they they are very active fish, and quite fast.
Breeding wise they're maternal mouthbrooders like your multis, and given the right conditions can be spawned quite easily, the greater the numbers the easier the job I believe.

Have found an article that you may find of interest.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c_leptosoma_utinta.php
Central Americans; once they pop they don't stop!
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 18/5/2008 20:51
Re: Cyprichromis leptosoma #3
Ooh thanks, that article does makes me want to get some ...
The mouthbrooding is fascinating as I have not seen it except on film, with multis the females just keep the fry in their shell until they venture out.
Just waiting to see if I win auction on that poss new tank for goldfish now ...
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 19/5/2008 15:31
Re: Cyprichromis leptosoma #4
in a word, yes i've kept, and still keep, 6 of them

they were originally in a 2ft tank at work and were breeding like stink, put them in a rekord 120 and they spread out more, less breeding happened, personally i believe they should be crammed into the tank

Resized Image

in this shot (middle 18" of tank) you can see one of the original batch of fry who was about 6 months old
Resized Image

get more males than females and they should breed a treat for you, plus the males will display better, without one being dominant and the rest hiding, have one end with rocks for a pair of cave/rock dwellers (not brichardi) then have your shellies at the other end and a large open expanse in the middle

my 6 came to college with me and had another, crappy strain, male added to the group who was kicking about on his own and are all in a 5x2x2 tanganyikan tank that i want to rescape as it looks really crap, especially as the male Xenotilapia died

what size is the 4ft?
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 19/5/2008 20:20
Re: Cyprichromis leptosoma #5
Should have known you'd have them, didn't think to ask ...

Xenotilapia also v pretty, shame

The 4 foot tank is the Rena, not the extra deep one so it's about 200L useable volume. 2 fancy goldfish in it at the moment. I'm trying to buy a second hand Juwel Rio 180 on eBay to move the goldfish into, FX.

Would rather they bred moderately rather than like wildfire to be honest, given my sentimental attachments to baby fish! How many do you think would be right number? Given the number of multies, I might be better off only having the 2 species?

Will also have to have a think about rockwork. Not very confident about building a stable edifice.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 19/5/2008 21:45
Re: Cyprichromis leptosoma #6
Just as an aside - I am having to avoid the local fishmonger as it has changed hands and now caters increasingly for the local Congolese population - so slabs of big fish on ice that all look TOO MUCH like my little fish
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 20/5/2008 17:28
Re: Cyprichromis leptosoma #7
well when i say breed, it's more of a case of a batch of 8 at a time, and only 2 out of my 4 females would actually spawn, and they would hold them for 3 weeks, spend 3 weeks building back up then spawn again so they aren't to bad, not like other species like brichardi etc, now they are hell in a tank, the convicts of lake tanganyika

it was a shame about the Xenotilapia, they were courting in the old tank (2ft) as it had direct sun light, just wasn't big enoguh, and we were going to rig up a couple of mirrors to direct the morning sun at the tank as beams just like the sun would naturally, but not now

well i had 6 (plus 2 juvies) and my entire shellie colony (5 pairs and about 8 ready to pair up and loads of juvies and fry) in a rekord 120, so i'd say at least 10 (5M and 5F) all of the same colour morph as well to keep them pure
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you