stevied stevied
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Norfolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/6/2004 18:41
MOVING HOUSE/ MOVING POND #1
Hi Fellow Fishkeepers

My question is I am moving house soon from Essex to Norfolk, and I want to move my fish with me. About 130 miles.
So any advice would be appreciated.

Firstly I have been in touch with a company in Ipswich who would be prepared to move all fish from my pond.
If anyone knows any anybody else I would like to know.?

Secondly I need a quarantine pond to, 1- set up the bacteria and, 2- store fish until the new pond is dug.
So if anybody has such a pond and they want to part with it please let me know.( The vendor of the new house is willing to let me start a temporary pond prior to moving )

Thirdly want can I do prior to this so I don't overstress the fish.?

For info the pond is 2000gal and about 25 plus fish from
4 inches to about 14 inches a mixture of koi,shibunkins,orfe and goldfish.

So thanks for your time in reading this ( in advance )
and any help as said very much appreciated

STEVE

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/6/2004 19:45
Re: MOVING HOUSE/ MOVING POND #2
Quote:
I am moving house soon from Essex to Norfolk,

Lucky you "I wish" I want a pond but we will be moving too (not sure when) so feel I should wait as I wouldn't want the hassle of moving a pond like you, Good luck.
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 10/6/2004 5:09
Re: MOVING HOUSE/ MOVING POND #3
There have been large kiddies paddling pool on the market recently that make excellent temporary tanks, much cheaper than kosher temperory koi ponds, have a look at the following thread http://www.fish.co.uk/forums/index.ph ... ion=display;threadid=4142
In the weather we have been having here I would be slightly concerned about the water getting too warm so shade etc might be an idea and heron protection etc is a must.
I also used 1 ton builders bags lined with cheap plastic, these give 2'+ deep tanks around 130 gallon, they need a framework to hold the bag in shape/up. The frame work doesnt need to be able to take the weight of the water.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 10/6/2004 7:36
Re: MOVING HOUSE/ MOVING POND #4
Sean that link just shows fc site not the actual thread.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 10/6/2004 13:21
Re: MOVING HOUSE/ MOVING POND #5
Thats odd it takes me straight to the thread.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 10/6/2004 15:07
Re: MOVING HOUSE/ MOVING POND #6
It works now the first time I tried it this morning I ended up on the main page ? computers huh.
stevied stevied
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 11/6/2004 20:00
Re: MOVING HOUSE/ MOVING POND #7
Hi Folks
Thanks for that Sean I have also seen these pools for sale in B&Q and such up to £169 but will have a look at the costco one
I take your point about the herons as I am moving to the norfolk broads area, but here in Ilford we have herons so I built a pergola over mine a did not have any more problems.
Hope you do eventually move Goldy as we have been trying to do this for nearly two years.
Anyway do you think we could hold the fish for about two weeks in this type of pool, I do hope so.

Once again thanks for your input.

I will keep you posted

STEVE

• Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 11/6/2004 20:18
Re: MOVING HOUSE/ MOVING POND #8
I think the large paddling pool could but as I said I think it may need shade. I would also try and use your existing filter to filter the pool, if you cant tranport the filter then just the media, keep it cool and wet or very damp during the journey. Plan how you will plumb the filter before hand so that there are no nasty surprises at the far end. Good luck.
stevied stevied
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 13/6/2004 21:25
Re: MOVING HOUSE/ MOVING POND #9
Hi all thanks for that sean and yes I will shade as best I can, as for the filter what I intend doing is to get another filter and transport some of my filter media to it when I get it up and running. I also intend to take a few gallons of pond water with me to help get the filter and pond working with the existing bacteria.
Any way thats all for now will keep you informed how I get on.

Thanks again
STEVE
stevied stevied
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 30/8/2004 16:02
Re: MOVING HOUSE/ MOVING POND #10
Update on moving house

Well fellow fishkeppers have moved house now
Found an Aquatic shop about 2 miles from my new house
called NORFOK KOI web site is www.norfolkoi.co.uk
he came down on the day of the move caught all the fish boxed them and added oxygen as well, also took some of the garden ornaments that we could not get in the lorry.
Brought the fish to norfolk and we rang him when we were ready for him to come around and put the fish in a holding tank that he rented to us ( for £10 a week which i didn't think was to bad ? ) and since then he has been a great help. I have since constructed the pond and he even came around and help me put the liner in and has dropped items around to me when i've been stuck. Just filled the pond up today and will let it mature and build up the bacteria for a week or so and then move the fish to the new pond.
He also advised me to go with a bottom drain filter system and is building the filter box for me.
While I don't like advertising companies on this site I have to say that norfolk koi could not have been more helpful.
Thanks for all your previous help fellow fishkeepers.

STEVE