Animal Welfare Vote
nat_uk nat_uk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Cumbria
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/5/2008 10:56
thinking about a turtle #1
hello all i am thinking of investing in a turtle. i currently own a 4 year old hermanns tortoise who i got as a hatchling and i love him to bits however i am thinking of yet another pet. just wanted some advice on which is a good beginnner turtle what set up they need etc saw some eyllow bellied turts at a loal store loved them are these a good breed??

thanks in advance
xx
Im my loving fishies!

jack russel pup jack 8 months old
4 year old hermanns tort tony
my lovely fishies 2 dwarf gouramis, 7 neon tetras

i need to stop buying animals
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/5/2008 11:14
Re: thinking about a turtle #2
personally i would say razorback musk turtle are the best.. but thats only because i have one.. the size they grow to is a bit of a bonus, a mere 6 inches is the biggest they usually get in the wild, so they pretty much stay cute! there are a couple of species that i have seen to be avialable. ive had myrtle for about 18months now and s/he is getting on for 3-4 inches long. they are mainly aquatic, spending most of the time rooting around for food and swimming, there is place for it to get out but so far s/he doesnt ever. yellow bellies can get pretty big, think dinner plate for most turtles so would need a sort of heated pond affair, and as most other turtles will spend more time on land basking you will need basking factilities too. if you have a tortoise you will already be aware of how long these guys can live, so i guess youve already thoguht of that, so if you have space yellow bellies would be fine :o)
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
nat_uk nat_uk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Cumbria
  • Posted on: 10/5/2008 12:01
Re: thinking about a turtle #3
oooh they sound good, i have to admit i was thinking i would like a smaller breed as my house is currently a pet haven. there are actually more animals that live there than humans. what can i say i see a little face and i have to have them....
Im my loving fishies!

nat_uk nat_uk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Cumbria
  • Posted on: 10/5/2008 15:55
Re: thinking about a turtle #4
any help with the set up would be fab, ive got my eye on a 80l aquaria, would this be any good??
Im my loving fishies!

gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 10/5/2008 18:38
Re: thinking about a turtle #5
ideally a three foot aquaria with one third land about 2 thirds water treat as an aquarium 2 thirds full with basking lamps at the land end with heaters and good filtration external is better for the water part also a uv strip bulb suitable for lizards across the full length of the tank

have a read of this but ignore the live feeding and to add the strip light to the set up

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?img ... a:en-GB:official%26sa%3DX
[img]http://i275.p
howler1244 howler1244
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Canada
  • Posted on: 16/10/2008 13:36
Re: thinking about a turtle #6
Hello , I've just added red ear sliders to my pond this year and had to invest in a proper aquarium set up for them for the winter months. I found a web site called Glasscages.com which has , what i thought was an excellent design for a turtle aquarium . i had one built for myself. Anyone thinking of turtles or any other pet should first read up on their requirements before purchasing. There's always going to be the odd thing you'll learn as you go along but the basics should be answered right away before you start. 1) Do i have the free time needed per day to spend with this pet 2) What equipment is needed for proper set up of their enviroment and what will be the basic (total) cost of all necessary equipment. ( can i afford this ). 3)Are there any other pets or small children etc. that could harm or come to harm by this new addition to the family. 4)Am i subject to any legal restrictions of owning this type of pet. Doing various searchs on the internet on the care and requirements of turtles is always a good first step as well.