TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 9/5/2008 16:33
The Hunt for Mrs Ramses #1
LH, if you're reading this, you're probably right. Ramses is looking more and more likely to be Singapore bred. I suppose it really is a miracle he's made it this far.

I've just been back to the store where I got him and Aries from, looking for a female for him (not my first choice, but the only place I could get to atm), and I was dismayed to see - not only veiltail Rams this time, but Balloon Rams as well

And on the other side of the shop - Parrot Cichlids!! AGAIN! The lfs might as well put up a neon sign that his suppliers are Asian

Seems like these poor fish are gaining in popularity

At this rate, I might be forced to get any future fish online

Sorry, rant over.
T.L
Resized Image
dwss59 dwss59
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 9/5/2008 22:18
Re: The Hunt for Mrs Ramses #2
Don't apologise.
Just speaking your mind and informing others.

Veil tail rams............. I can see whats happend there but balloon rams?
I've seen posts just recently regarding them.
Whats the score Linz?
Central Americans; once they pop they don't stop!
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 9/5/2008 22:46
Re: The Hunt for Mrs Ramses #3
I've just seen them in the flesh for the first time today, but they seem to be gaining in popularity as well. They're almost like a ping-pong ball with fins.

http://www.geocities.com/yutaka_loo/yutakaram8.jpg
T.L
Resized Image
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 10/5/2008 16:01
Re: The Hunt for Mrs Ramses #4
The hunt goes on

I've just been to probably the best lfs round here, in the search for Mrs Ramses - and they don't have any at all because "we don't have the water for them" If any of you can work that one out, please, enlighten me. I assumed that, what he meant by that was their water must be too hard - but they have other softwater fish there . . .

Unless he thought I'd said Mbuna cichlids

It's looking increasingly likely that I'll be getting her online.
T.L
Resized Image
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 10/5/2008 22:41
Re: The Hunt for Mrs Ramses #5
I see the tank with balloon rams also contains some sort of hillstream loach, they don't exactly need similar conditions
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
jonnyunlimited jonnyunlimited
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/5/2008 23:47
Re: The Hunt for Mrs Ramses #6
We took the two goldens back today . As far as I could see the other 15 or so left in stock were all male. Had a good chat with the lady in charge who was very nice and quite forthcoming. She said they get a ferry from hull to holand a few times each month to stock up on the less hardy tropicals and the marines. On arrival they get issued with a load of coloured discs and a pen. You walk round the wholesalers, pick the species tanks you're buying from, mark up your required quantity on the disk and stick to the glass. Within a couple of hours your stock is bagged, packed and waiting for you (seems the trick is to beat the german artics that clean the place out). Then you make the ferry back to blighty. As to the origin of the fish they don't get much information, it's just a larger scale opperation but she suspects most of the rams are shipped/flown out from singapore at a very young age.

We came back with a tonne of cut slate and some bog wood (soaking) so all in all in contrast to the weather bit of a dark day all round