(1) 2 3 »
Anonymous  
Those friendly fella's in green #1
Hello again everyone..I really want to get some frogs or newts into my pond but dont have much of a clue how to encorage them - I know I cant go and buy them or spawn anywhere so how do I help nature finds its little green slimy way to my pond ?
natterjack natterjack
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/5/2008 22:02
Re: Those friendly fella's in green #2
At the top of my head... i would download some frog croaking noises and play it out loud at night near your pond and wait for them to come to mate in your pond and bob your uncle!

Seriously...i havent a clue... maybe you need plants and water insects thriving first to provide food and shades to attract them?
Natterjack

Resized Image
flappinganimal flappinganimal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Caresheets
  • Posted on: 8/5/2008 22:08
Re: Those friendly fella's in green #3
Nick some frog spawn from a nearby public pond, is that too much?
Anonymous  
Re: Those friendly fella's in green #4
I just love the mating noise idea - think that might just tip my missus over the edge with me

I have been keeping an eye out in the local waters but most of them are fast streams or very muddy canals so no luck yet - I have to go poking round some neighbours and ask if they have any
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 8/5/2008 22:15
Re: Those friendly fella's in green #5
That might work. As long as youve got the correct amount of plants and shade. I used to be forever finding shrivelled up roast frogs on the edge of my old pond. Why they didnt just jump back in the water I dont know.
Anonymous  
Re: Those friendly fella's in green #6
roast frogs - eugh dont think I be adding them my my dinner this sunday Got plenty of cover now, lilly and water hawthorn as well for them to sit around in the pond - only thing I guess I need to sort is a slope for getting in and out now I think of it
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 8/5/2008 22:23
Re: Those friendly fella's in green #7
Also I think frogs will need lots of bushes and things around, like undergrowth for the winter. Dont quote me on that though. I think they hibbernate and will leave the pond in the winter.
On the subject of frogs, my cat brought us one in in the night a few days back, i wasnt best pleased as you can imagine! It was still alive and unhurt though!
natterjack natterjack
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 8/5/2008 23:08
Re: Those friendly fella's in green #8
isn't it illegal to take spawn out of public ponds/lakes/river? I thought they are protected species? especially with newts...

best google on that...
Natterjack

Resized Image
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/5/2008 23:24
Re: Those friendly fella's in green #9
I don't have a pond but frogs seem to like my garden and especially our bin for some reason as I often find them sheltering under it even though it is kept in the front garden the other day I went to move the bin for the bin men to take and as I turned the bin felt something go thump underneath and thought oh no and yes it was a frog a good sized one too underneath looking rather flattened with its legs stretched out anyway I gently tapped it with my foot hoping to see if it would move but it just lay there so I poured some water out of my watering can on it and it appeared dead poor thing so I left it on the off chance and yes you can guess it disappeared once my back was turned not sure where it went but it sure knew how to play dead
as for how to get some for your pond think maybe it will just be a case of waiting and see if some turn up of their own accord
natterjack natterjack
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 8/5/2008 23:27
Re: Those friendly fella's in green #10
maybe a cat found his lunch? lol
Natterjack

Resized Image