s4m s4m
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/5/2008 17:55
parrott cichlids #1
Hi all,

I brought these fish for my girlfriend a year ago as she wanted them. At the time i knew nothing about them but have learned over the past few months of the atrocities that occur regarding this species. I cannot change the fact that i have them now and she loves them so i do my best to provide a good environment for them, the thing is they have layed eggs, i was wondering what to do with them? i read somwhere that they wouldnt hatch? any advice would be appreciated

thanks

sam
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 5/5/2008 18:26
Re: parrott cichlids #2
just leave them be, if they dont hatch they will go fungust and the parents should eat them if they dont then just scrape the eggs off the surface they are on and siphon them out, if they are on a rock then just remove the rock and scrape them off and throw them away

it just shows that they are happy where they are
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 5/5/2008 18:32
Re: parrott cichlids #3
What will happen if they do hatch? with what ive read today re the atrosaties visited on these poor creatures, what would the fry be like?

Sorry ive gazumped your thread Sam

Jen
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 5/5/2008 18:32
Re: parrott cichlids #4
Hi, welcome to FK.
It is shocking when you learn more about these fish isn't it, but since you have got them of course you want to do what's best.
I don't think anyone here keeps them except longhairedgit who has rescued one/some.
I have read that normally males are sterile and so the unfertilised eggs will grow fungus and be eaten by the parents, but I don't know if that is inevitably the case.
Someone else who knows better than me will probably be along soon.

(edit - and they were - and typing quicker than me)
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 5/5/2008 18:36
Re: parrott cichlids #5
Please take a read of this link:

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... p?topic_id=16103&forum=23
T.L
Resized Image
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 5/5/2008 18:58
Re: parrott cichlids #6
if they were to hatch they'd be just like the parent parrots really, nothing worse, nothing better. but if they did hatch make sure you document it well as it would be one of the first documented accounts in the UK, or on the internet in general
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 5/5/2008 23:20
Re: parrott cichlids #7
Chances for them hatching are about 99.999999% against, the male will be either completely infertile or have sperm that dont know how to swim in the right direction. If theres no black tips to the eggs after about 4 days they will be infertile and since parrot cichlids will have problems eating them, their mouths as you know dont work too well, just remove the eggs and scrub them if you dont have scavenging species around. Dead eggs are a magnet for saprolegnia, and you dont really want fluff growths in the tank.

Oddly enough ive seen some very young parrot cichlid fry that were imported very young, a little over a centimetre, they looked very much like blanched out convict cichlid fry. They looked healthy, even their mouths worked, but the deformities catch up with them over the coming months as they develop.

Sounds like you have the care right so far, they would not be laying if their environment was severely off.

If you want to doublecheck the way your keeping them list tank ph, temps, ammo, nitrite, nitrate readings and what is the tanksize and current filter?
Resized Image