(1) 2 3 »
kittie1987 kittie1987
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/4/2008 22:52
help with my terrapins please #1
Hello everyone i wounded if someone could please help me i have look up on sites and asked about but no body has answered my questions yet and i wounded id any off you could

I have 2 terrapins 1 is about 1 year and and 6 months old and is currently living in a 4 ft tank i have a heater and a filter the same height of the tank and a normal aquarium light and a uv light in it as well as rocks and a turtle dock i have named it tom however im unsure of it sex so im just going on its a male until someone is able to sex it for me

he seems very happy and friendly however he does like to hish at me now and again is this normal ???
he eats very well he eats a range of food but then again im not sure if he is getting the right diet here is a list of what he will eat and what i feed him

Reptomin complete food for aquatic turtles which is the sticks form advise to be given by sales person from where we got him from

i also give him feed him a turtle food which is in a tub which is made up of dried river shrimp,white shrimp,shrimp flakes and rice flakes

i also feed him
blood worms
cuttle fish
sweet corn
prawns
carrots

i would like to no what not to feed him is there any kind of other vegetables i can feed him or fruit ?????

I'm unsure of what breed he is but i know he likes to be in water a lot he does come out of water for a while to bask but i have noticed when he comes out of water for a long period his shell seems to go white is normal ??????

and secondly my other terrapin is not very old at all its a little bigger than a 50p it is a baby it is in a smaller tank until it gets bigger it have a heater and a uv light in it and a pump that is the right size for the tank again I'm unsure how to sex them so i have no idea what sex it is and again sure of what breed it is however i had got it from the same shop as the other 1 and i was told they are suppose to be the same breed this one seems to be happy and loves to come of his tank and walk about he also seems to be out of water a lot and loves to sit on the rock unlike the other 1 this as led me to believing they are different breeds but i might be wrong my other terrapin had no problem eating when i first got him but the baby one doesn't seem to eat unless its has eat a very small amount when my back has been turned
i heard its just because its still getting use to the tank as i only got it on Sunday is this possible as it seems to be healthy with its shell and very active when he comes out the tank can i feed the baby 1 the same foods as the older 1 i know it has to be in lot smaller amounts or does it have to be a baby terrapin food ?? as i was told 1 the food i was given is ok to be fed to both of them??

and finally how long can they stay out of water for before they need to go back into the water ????
i would be very grateful if someone could please please answer all the question i have asked as i want to be able to give the right care and love to my terrapins and i would like to know if i'm doing anything wrong so i can put it right

thanks Kittie aka Samantha
smarttony smarttony
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 16/4/2008 23:08
Re: help with my terrapins please #2
Hi kittie, and welcome to fk, I'm no expert on turtles but my mate's wife has a pair and sometime I looked after them when they're on holiday. I was at the lfs when they first bought a pair. From what I've learn the male tail is longer than the female so that one way of telling. As for feeding they only get turtle sticks and live earthworms and both are over 6 months old and growing so fast and healthy. Not to worry about the small one feeding on the same food as the mature one. I've seen them swallow a whole worm in one go. Hope this help and hope someone with more experience give more advice tomorrow.

Tony
Original ImageOriginal ImageOriginal Image
Original Image
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 16/4/2008 23:43
Re: help with my terrapins please #3
If you want your turtles identified and sexed, the easiest way would be to take a picture of them entire, making sure the head and shell is clearly visible, and then a shot of their underneath including the underneath rear of the shell, and their tails. I should be able to ID them and roughly sex them, though sexing the young one might be tricky.

The little one is probably not eating cos its a little stressed from the move, but its not necessarily a problem as yet, it might come round, especially ifd offerred something like real fish or something meaty , possibly a small earthworm or similar.

Worth checking the temperatures as always, do your turtles have basking lights or just striplights, whats the water temperature and air temperature in the aquaria?

Turtles ability to stay out of water depends on size and level of personal hydration, and how dry and warm the air temperatures are. Some might show signs of dehydration within a day depending on condition, others will be fine for over a week, it varies enormously according to environment variables, turtle species, and size, so im afraid there isnt a definitive answer for that question.

Most omnivorous turtles can safetly eat any vegetable that you can give a green iguana so if you google for "mellissa kaplans herp homepage" youll find all the dietary info you need right there. You might also find some extra vitamin and calcium supplementation necessary if you havent tried it yet.

Youll generally find young turtles are more attracted to protien sources than the adults who are prepared to go straight for a variety of foods,TBH adults are open mouthed dustbins, and they refuse remarkably few foods, but the young are choosier, so you might have to give the little guy a few concessions to some more appetising meaty foods to begin with until he finds the artificial foods appetising enough to bother with. Reptomin is fine for baby and adult turtles nutritionally, its just a question of the younger pallette liking richer food and not finding artificial diets too attractive.
Original Image
kittie1987 kittie1987
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 17/4/2008 0:00
Re: help with my terrapins please #4
thanks long is the basking light you are talking about heat light is so both tank have 1 i will get you a good reading on both tank tomorrow morning as i have had the temperature has dropped a little so i had to turn the heater up i will also get pictures tomorrow you wasn't able to answer the whiteness on the older ones shell that appears while out of water if i could get a picture of its shell while whit would you be able to help tell why this is happening ??? i will take picture of the baby one so u can id it and try to sex it but if you are unable to sex it then no worry i can post picture when its older for you to sex it thanks again will post more info on temps and pic tomorrow
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 17/4/2008 0:09
Re: help with my terrapins please #5
Yeah, no problem, if you can take a pic of the white area on the shell close as possible in focus to gimme a good look I probably will be able to tell whats causing it. If its some sort of fungal or bacterial shell infection its will probably need looking at.

The turtle with the white bit, if you can flip it over and get me a close up of the belly scutes it can help a lot too, turtles often show any first signs of septacamia on the lower scutes even if the major infection is elsewhere, sometimes you can see the odd vein in the underneath scutes and it gives you a good clue as to the health of the turtle.
Original Image
kittie1987 kittie1987
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 17/4/2008 0:15
Re: help with my terrapins please #6
OK thank i just installing my camera drivers on my laptop right now then i will get close ups on both of them for you should have the posted on here in the next 10 to 15 mins as im worried the big one may be ill now hope not tho as the whit that appears on his shell only is visible when he has been out of water
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 17/4/2008 0:16
Re: help with my terrapins please #7
Ok, i'll be around for a little while yet. I'll keep checking the forum.
Original Image
kittie1987 kittie1987
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 17/4/2008 0:58
Re: help with my terrapins please #8
here is the big 1 tail sorry is the only way i could get one of it lol

and sorry the pictures are not very clear sorry hope they help tho

Attach file:

jpg  (43.53 KB)
6385_48069c2168280.jpg 352X288 px
kittie1987 kittie1987
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 17/4/2008 1:00
Re: help with my terrapins please #9
and im sorry i will have to get the other picture tomorrow as they have come out all blur so will have to use boyfriends phone lol
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 17/4/2008 1:11
Re: help with my terrapins please #10
Yeah I cant see for sure, not quite close enough. Looks more like a female from a distance, but I cant be sure from that pic. Never mind, can wait till tomorrow.
Original Image