(1) 2 »
m4tt_y m4tt_y
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/4/2008 20:05
has anybody eaten an oscar?? #1
need to find a home for him very soon or i'll be left with no alternative, i'm suprised no-one is interested in having him.
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 11/4/2008 20:25
Re: has anybody eaten an oscar?? #2
I can recommond somewhere that might be able to take it off you hands, but he couldnt give you any money for it. The problem is no one gives any money for large fish or fish that grow large.
FairgroundFish FairgroundFish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/4/2008 21:43
Re: has anybody eaten an oscar?? #3
I would love to have him but have not got room for the massive tank!
How big is the tank you have him in?
m4tt_y m4tt_y
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 12/4/2008 12:30
Re: has anybody eaten an oscar?? #4
He's in a 400L tank but with other community fish
toah toah
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Canada
  • Posted on: 24/4/2008 19:07
Re: has anybody eaten an oscar?? #5
its SO hard to get rid of those fish when you have too..thats why i dont keep them anymore...ive got a 60gallon(US) and i had my big brute in it(tiger oscar)he was awsome...very tempermental..very spolied..and very large...16inches...i felt bad for him i didnt think they would grow as fast as he did in 7months he went from 5 inches to 16...ahh..lol...he was a piggy...i finally was able to bring him to work...with a little coaxing from me to my boss - the reason why he didnt want to take him - 1: alot of people dont have the kind of room oscars need - 2:they eat ALOT! and are very messy so they are hard to sell 3: they are cheap fish...he only got 30$ for him...thats how much my boss sells some africans for that are 1/3 his size..lol..good luck !!
Resized Image
.::GRR!::.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 25/4/2008 9:32
Re: has anybody eaten an oscar?? #6
Quote:

m4tt_y wrote:
i'm suprised no-one is interested in having him.

are you really? you dont want him any more... how can you be surprised at peoples reluctance to rehome such a massive fish. and i'm sure its not really to do with the fact that they just aren't interested, most people would struggle to provide suitable accomodation for a tank buster.

another example of why tank busting fish sales should be regulated! the poor specimins are mostly bought by ignorant or irresponsible keepers, who just get rid of them on when they get too big. its really not a good attitude to have.

such a shame, a well kept oscar is a lovely fish, shame theres not many people able to provide a good home for them.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
m4tt_y m4tt_y
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 26/4/2008 12:05
Re: has anybody eaten an oscar?? #7
I was led to believe he would be compatible with my 2 10/11" tinfoils and clown loaches but he is terrorising the barbs. Such a shame as i've grown attached to him and he's such a lovely looking specimen.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 26/4/2008 13:25
Re: has anybody eaten an oscar?? #8
P@H I was in the other day had a display tank of about 200L with 5 oscars in. They were just babies, about 4cm long, but it was SO giving people the wrong message I absolutely agree about special licensing for tankbusters.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 26/4/2008 13:27
Re: has anybody eaten an oscar?? #9
I'm afraid its impossible and unfair to label all keepers who buy an innapropriate fish "ignorant or irresponsable", instead we should be saying it is the people who sell these fish who are ignorant and irresponsable, this is an industry that makes money on lies, how many times have I been told that a fish will only grow to the size of the tank??? Countless times, I know to do my own research but there are people out there that would hope they could trust the advice given to them by their LFS. Its about how we as a community support them and they're fish afterwards, not laying the blame.

At least the responsable thing is being done by trying to find this fish a more appropriate home, rather than let him or the fish he's kept with suffer, we should be applauding good judgement not a put down for a past decision, after all everyone make mistakes once in a while...

Good luck with finding your Oscar a suitable home
Resized Image
[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-a
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/4/2008 13:41
Re: has anybody eaten an oscar?? #10
Just an idea but have you thought about asking if any of the sea life centres like in Blackpool would take him as they tend to have very large tanks